hist-brewing: We're Not Dead...

Bryan Maloney bjm10 at cornell.edu
Tue May 13 10:56:16 PDT 1997

>First, good beer is not cloudy.  This is because they are not giving
>their beer a protein rest, or they are not pouring the beer properly

Beer brewed from fully converted British-style malts doesn't need a protein
rest.  I've found that cloudiness in those types of beers is caused by
either cracking the grain too fine (too much flour in the mash) and/or
insufficient aging and fools who think that a week in a carboy constitutes
a full "secondary" fermentation.  There are cretins out there who think
that homebrew is ready to drink a mere two weeks after bottling!

My Drowsy Duck porter is only worth trying after two months in the bottle,
and it doesn't hit its prime until about six months.  I've got an imperial
stout that probably will take a year or two in the bottle before it's on
top of form.  I made a spiced Wit that was just not palatable until aging
for nine months, and it only made it to top of form after about 18 months.

I have recently made a weak beer (mere OG of 1.050), so I'll see what
happens with it.

>and getting the yeast off of the bottom.  A simple solution is to be
>careful with the bottle and get the top pour out of it (the bottom
>contains the yeast!).

I agree with this--some folks just don't know how to decant.

>Remember that the yeast is full of good stuff for you, though :).

Weizen?  Mit Hefe!  Mit Hefe!