hist-brewing: <None>

Tony Spence tony at anakrono.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 14:40:13 PDT 1996

Way back in June I wrote:

> In his booklet "The Tipplers Guide to the Mid 17th Century" Stuart Peachey
> quotes two other recipies but his references are unclear (I'll ask him what
> they are next time I speak to him).
>
> "Of the making of Cyder, or Perry.
>
> Cyder is a certaine liquor or drinke made of the juyce of Apples, and Perry
> is the like, made of Peares, they are of great use in France, and very
> wholsome for mans body, especially at the Sea, and in hot Countries: for
> they are cool and purgative, and doe prevent the burning agues: with us here
> in England Cyder is most made in the West parts, as about Devon-shiere and
> Cornwaile, and Perry in Worcester-shire, Glocester-shire, and such like,
> where indeed the greatest store of those kinds of fruits are to be found:
> the manner of making them is, after your fruit is gotten, you shall take
> every Apple, or Peare, by it selfe, and looking upon them, picke them cleane
> from all manner of filthinesse, as bruisings, rottennesse, worme-eating, and
> such like, neither leave upon them any stalkes, or the black buds which are
> grown upon the tops of the fruit, which done you shall put them into some
> very cleane vessell, or trough, and with beetels, made for the purpose,
> bruise or crush the Apples or Peares in peeces, and so remove them into
> other cleane vessels, till all the fruit be bruised: then take a bagge of
> haire-cloth, made at least a yard, or three quarters, square, and filling it
> full of the crusht fruit, put it in a presse of wood, made for the purpose,
> and presse out all the juyce and moisture out of the fruit, turning and
> tossing the bagge up and downe, untill there be no more moisture to runne
> forth, and so bagfull after bagfull, cease not untill you prest all: wherein
> you are especially to observe, that your vessels into which you straine your
> fruit be exceeding neate, sweet, and cleane, and there be no place of ill
> favour, or annoyance neare them, for the liquor is most apt, especially
> Cyder, to take any infection.  As soone as your liquor is prest forth, and
> hath stood to settle, about twelve houres, you shall then turne it up into
> sweet hogsheads, as those which have had in them last, either White-wine or
> Clarret, as for the Sacke vessell it is tollerable, but not excellent: you
> may also if you please make a small long bagge of fine linnen cloth, and
> filling it full of the powder of Cloves, Mace, Cynamon, Ginger, and the dry
> pils of Lemons, and hang it with a string at the bung-hole into the vessell,
> and it will make either the Cider or Perry, to taste pleasantly as if it
> were Renish-wine, and this being done you shall clay up the bung-hole with
> clay and salt mixt together, so close as is possible.  And thus much for the
> making of Perry or Cyder."
>
> And
>
> "Cyder and Perry
>
> In France and some other Countries, and in England, They make great use of
> [...]

Well, I managed to get to talk to Stuart a few days ago and he provided
references for both of these.  The first is to be found in Gervase Markham's
"The English Husbandman" and the second is from a piece by William Lawson -
he couldn't recall the title but it is normally found bound together with
Markham.

--
Tony Spence