hist-brewing: What next?

David Brewer brewer at westmore.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 29 18:19:49 PDT 1996

A friend of mine is experimenting with "medieval" brewing, and
to be honest he doesn't know a great deal (and neither do I).

So he's made two brews of "ale" that are no more sophisticated
than some malt extract, yeast and water in a bucket. The first
lot combined four pounds of malt with two gallons of water (it
came out sweet and noticably alcoholic), the second combined
four pounds of malt with four pounds of water (less taste,
dryer).

So, what would be a next step in terms of sophistication (if
any)? What do we know about English brewing practices c.1460?

Is there any obvious literature that we should look for?

David Brewer - brewer at westmore.demon.co.uk