hist-brewing: Brewing beer with honey

Chuck Graves chuck_graves at mail.hq.faa.gov
Thu Jun 13 12:34:08 PDT 1996

Greetings, all.

>Dose any one know were I might find a pre 1600 recipe for beer with honey.

Yes and no. You can certainly find a couple in Digbie. But that is just after
1600 (although, arguably a storehouse of information which dates to before
the turn of that century). My best recommendation is to use Digbie--and stick
to the initial SCA cutoff of 1650.  8^)

>I have brewed for a short while and now wish to enter some brews in to
>compation in the SCA.  I  am clueless on how to document it.  Any suggestion
>on sources etc would be greatly welcomed.

Period References:

  Sir Kenelme Digbie, The closet of the eminently learned Sir Kenelme Digbie kt.
  opened: whereby is discovered several ways for making of metheglyn, sider,
  cherry-wine, &c., 1669

  Gervase Markham, The English Hus-wife, 1615

  Sir Hugh Platt, The Jewell House of Art and Nature, 1594

  Sir Hugh Platt, Delights for Ladies, 1609

  W. M., The Queens Closet Opened, London: 1655

Modern references:

  Renfrow, Cindy, A Sip Through Time. Self published: 7 El's Way, Sussex, NJ
  07461 [she's lurking around here somewhere...  8^)]

A copy of Digbie is available in Duke Cariadoc's Collection, Volume I. He can be
reached at

David Friedman
3806 Williams Rd.
San Jose, CA 95117
Phone number: 408 244-3330

A Sip Through Time is a wonderful place to start. With regard to the other
period sources, check the largest college library close to you. Some of them
are available through the Early English Text Society series of reproductions.
Or you take a trip to the Library of Congress and fondle the 17th century
versions...boy was that worth the trip!

Regards,
Chuck Graves