[ememusic] Lalezar CD

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Apr 6 15:07:47 PDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 04:01:00PM -0700, David Wilkins wrote:

> There are two tracks from Bayezid II (ruled 1481-1512), one by his
> son Prince Korkut (1467-1513).  All of the others are from post
> 1600's.

Thanks. I got my copy of the CD today, and I see from the liner notes
that the identification of these tracks with Bayezid II and Prince
Korkut is pretty speculative. No wonder I hadn't heard about them
before. "There was still a considerable repertoire dating from the
17th century, but this repertoire tended to be embellished and even
recomposed so that it bore little resemblance to any music actually
heard in the 17th century. In addition, there were confusions and
misattributions, so some very modern pieces were often attached to the
names of early composers. Among the most egregious examples are the
mid-19th century pieces attributed to Prince Cantemir (1673-1723) and
to Gazi Giray Han (1554-1607). To add to the confusion, some of the
authentic pieces by these composers were preserved in the early
notated collections, but these were rarely used by Ottoman musicians."

I wonder if we can dig up an academic article which discusses this
sort of thing. The liner notes were written by Walter Feldman.

> The liner notes give three collections of 17th century music -
> Mecmu'a-i Saz u soz (Ali Ufi Bey/Wojcieh Bobowski, c. 1650), the
> collection of Prince Demetrius Cantemir (c. 1700) and the collection
> of Nayi Osman Dede (c.1700).

The first I have a facsimile of. The second I'm getting a book about.
The 3rd I didn't know about yet.

-- Gregory