[ememusic] Welcome, and introductions

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Apr 2 13:52:40 PDT 2009

Welcome! This mailing list now has 12 members, so I thought I'd get
the ball rolling.

First, please introduce yourselves. I'm known in the SCA as Gregory
Blount, and I'm interested in a wide variety of early music.  I'm
pretty new to Middle Eastern music.

Second, please help us by advertising the existance of the mailing
list and the website (http://ememusic.aands.org/) in appropriate
places. So far I've only advertised to a couple of Tribe groups and
the people who came to my class last Pennsic.

Third, if you'd like to experiment with editing the website, if you
follow the invite I mailed you individually, it will set you up to
edit. So far Melissa and Asim have added themselves to the "Who we
are" webpage, and Asim added some info to the Bibliography and
Discography.

Fourth, let's get started on the real project here, finding
information about early Middle Eastern music. I have a dozen or so
books and articles that I need to add to the bibliography. I'm sure
some of you have stuff to add, too. In the process of looking at
these, we'll identify some new sources that look interesting.  Then
we'll see if we can incite someone to get copies of the new sources,
and so on.

If you look at the website, you'll see that I have place-holders for
summary articles about rhythm, scales, instruments, and melodies.
Once we've got a good handle on what the sources say, my medium-term
goal is to get us to work together to write these articles.

-- Gregory