bwbug: The BWBUG meeting will be Sept 12th at the SUN i Force Center in McLean

Michael Fitzmaurice Michael.Fitzmaurice at gtsi.com
Wed Sep 6 07:52:22 PDT 2006

September 12, 2006 2:30-5:00 PM ET Meeting Information

LOCATION: SUN MICROSYSTEMS I FORCE CENTER,  7900 Westpark Drive, Suite
A110 McLean VA.

SPEAKER: Owen Taylor, Director of Technical Communications, GigaSpaces

ABSTRACT: "Space-Based Architecture and the End of Tier-Based Computing"

Most business applications are architected using a tier-based approach
(presentation, business logic, data tier). The emergence of powerful and
new commodity HW and the introduction of SOA/Grid architectures touts
the promise of achieving true linearly-scalable systems at a lower cost.
However, as we shall see in this presentation, these new platforms and
architectures are not aligned with the existing tier-based approach,
which is by definition centralized and static.

During the presentation, a new approach will be introduced - Space Based
Architecture (SBA). It is basically a combination of Distributed
Caching, SOA and Grid concepts combined into a single coherent
architecture optimized for high-performance data-intensive applications,
which transforms existing tier-based applications into linearly and
dynamically scalable services. Towards the end we will also discuss a
real-life example of a financial application that was built using the
SBA. We will explore the patterns used to achieve this goal and explore
how it can be applied to other applications with similar requirements.

Please register at  http://www.bwbug.org/Meeting_Registration.php

Mike Fitzmaurice

703-973-9054