ads3: Dance Symposium - Thank You!

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 13 09:31:02 PST 2002

Scheduled as we were against the first mega fighting event of the season
(Ymir) and unfortunately against a neighboring Barony's birthday (Bright
Hills), this past weekend's Dance Symposium was a resounding success, and as
a first-time Autocrat I would like to extend my gratitude to all those who
worked so hard to make this happen.

There's no way that an event that touches on so many different dance and
music disciplines can rely on the talents of any one person to successfully
pull it off.  My heartfelt thanks go out to all of the Gentles listed below
who gladly threw themselves at our little endeavor.  Without their help,
dedication, and patience, this event could never have happened.

In no particular order....

(1) To our wonderful instructors!  This was the largest-ever Dance Symposium
held in Atlantia, with sixteen hours of classroom instruction offered spread
out over three tracks, including an expansive 6-hour track of Middle Eastern
instruction.  You shared your expertise, your patience, and your love of
dance with an eager audience.  My thanks go out to Adele Desfontaines, Asim
at Talib, Bryan Morgan, Istvan Dragosani, Judith de Northumbria, Katherine
Mercer, Stefan of Cambion, Tahira bint Ibraham al-Ishbiliyya (I hope I
spelled it right this time!), and Veda Sereem.  I want to single out Asim
and Adele for particular praise -- Asim taught 3 hours of classes
back-to-back-to-back, more than any other instructor this weekend, and Adele
traveled some 14 hours from the Barony of Cynnabar in Michigan to come to
teach.  Thank you both!

(2) To my incredible staff!!!  You had all sorts of little annoyances to
deal with... from finding out that we had to share the site with a BINGO
game and a day-long birthday party, to handling the site's double-booking of
one of our class rooms with a tap and jazz class, to dealing with a rookie
Autocrat... and you dealt with these with grace and professionalism.  You
did your jobs, and did them exceedingly well.  I could not have asked for
better.  My thanks go out to Amalia Künne (Troll), Anne of Carthew (Band
Coordinator), Bryan Morgan (Website), Constanza de Tallavera (Class
Coordinator), Da'irine ingen Ciarigian (Decorations), Izdihara al Hakima
bint Durr (Middle Eastern Coordinator), Judith de Northumbria (Dance
Mistress, Grand Ball), Katerina von Breslau (Refreshments), and Reinhardt
von Glückstadt (Chirurgeon and Gopher).  Special thanks go to Judith,
Katerina and Da'irine -- Judith stepped-in on extremely short notice to
handle the Dance Mistress duties and came through for us with beauty and
grace.  Katerina promised that we wouldn't go home hungry, and she didn't
lie, because she provided us an ENORMOUS dessert board!  Most importantly of
all, Da'irine single-handedly transformed our frumpy and ugly Community
Center class rooms into a breathtakingly beautiful dance hall.  Many of our
arriving guests stood and gaped in amazement when they saw how picturesque
our hall had become, and literally dozens of compliments were paid to the
staff on behalf of her decorations.  (And this was only her first event as a
staff member!)  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

(3) To our talented musicians, Ponte Alto's Harp & Drum Corps, you once
again have my thanks.  Seems like we're in a rut... I beg you to come, you
come, I become indebted to you, I beg you again, you come again, I go even
deeper in debt, etc.  :)  You've always been there for me, and this weekend
was no exception.  I'm quickly running out of clever ways to express my
gratitude for your continued support of our dancing events.  You guys rock!

(4) I also thank the entire Middle-Eastern comminuty, who so
enthusiastically involved themselves with this event.  You responded to our
call for instructors with more classes than I could schedule -- so we
expanded the track!  You handled the class and Hafla details with little
involvement from me, and whenever I tried to thank you for all your work,
you beat me to it and thanked _me_ for involving you.  :)  You were patient
with me, included me in your planning, and re-introduced me to a world of
dance that I know very little about.  I can't begin to express my gratitude.

(5) I would also like to extend a personal thank you to Lady Pavla
Dmitrovna, Registrar of the University of Atlantia, and Lady Beatrix Faw.
Through Pavla's hard work, all of our attending students will receive
University credit for the classes they took this last Saturday.  Although
only about 1/3 of our students tracked their classes, we had over 80
person-hours of credit reported, enough for three full Bachelor's degrees
from the U of A!  And if it hadn't been for Beatrix, quite frankly, there
would have been no Hafla.  Ladies, you both have my sincere thanks!

(6) My thanks also go out to the Barony of Dun Carraig for their
enthusiastic support of this event.  With as few dancers as our Barony
normally sports, and with Kingdom Twelfth Night just _barely_ behind us, our
Sea Dogs came through with flying colors!  As usual.

(7) And lastly, I would be remiss if I didn't thank our students.  Without
you, none of this would have been possible.  I hope you enjoyed your day
half as much as I did, and I hope you will return to Dun Carraig's shores
again soon!

With deep, heartfelt gratitude, I remain,
// Vard //

Lord Edvard Gayer, Autocrat
Atlantian Dance Symposium III
http://isenfir.org/academie/symposium