ads3: Symposium Update

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 11:14:54 PST 2002

Yes, things have been quiet re: the Symposium of late.  With Twelfth Night
spinning-up here locally, you can probably consider this the calm before the
storm.  :)  I wanted to take a quick opportunity *before* Twelfth Night to
get everyone up-to-speed on what everyone *else* is doing, and to offer
anyone who may be coming to Twelfth Night an invitation to visit the
Symposium site.

Last things first...

The Symposium site is about a 15-20 minute drive from the K12N site.  If
anyone is interested, I am planning to make arrangements for a quick site
visit sometime Saturday afternoon.  You can see where the place is located,
see the rooms, the stage, the floor, etc, and get an overall "feel" for how
things will play out in February.  Except for some Troll duty, some personal
business, and my need to be on-site during the two courts, I will be
available to do this pretty much any time that afternoon.  Drop me an email,
or find me on-site if you'd be interested in going.  :)

Middle things next...

The site has 3 large dance-suitable rooms, and two medium-sized
meeting-suitable rooms.  We have the 3 large rooms guaranteed, and can use
the two meeting rooms if they are not otherwise booked when we arrive on
site that morning.  (The site itself is a public community center, and
they're hesitant to book the ENTIRETY of their facilities for the use of a
single group).

There will be three 5-hour dance tracks... two Western European and one
Middle Eastern.  The current plans are to begin our classes at noon, and run
them until 5 with 5-10 minute breaks between each.  The *specific* break-out
of the schedule won't happen until we know exactly how many classes of each
type we are booking, but every day we get closer to knowing that.
Unofficially, we currently have 4 hours of European and 3 hours of Middle
Eastern classes confirmed, and more are in the works.  I do not anticipate
having a problem filling the 15 hours.  If more classes are offered, we can
expand the class time by an hour with no problem... we just need to know to
do it.  Constanza, Khalilla, and Izdihara have these areas well in-hand.

The dance rooms are divided by partitions.  They're NOT very insulated
sound-wise, but they do provide a little bit of isolation between the three
rooms.  We will schedule our classes judiciously to try to minimize the
cross-talk between rooms, and I'm certain the problem will prove to be
minor.  The largest of the rooms also includes a raised stage, and the
second-largest of the rooms is used by a local ballet class and it comes
with a mirrored wall.  The Middle Eastern track will get one of these two
rooms for their very own.  :)

In the evening, the site will be reconfigured for the Ball.  We lose one of
the rooms, but the other two (including the one with the stage) will be
quite large enough to suit our needs.  (If I measured correctly, the
combined room will be 57' long by 37' wide, not including the 400 sq foot
stage.)  This will be extensively decorated... you probably won't recognize
it when you get back from dinner.  :)

I am still working to find a site for a Hafla, and am 99% confident that we
will get AT LEAST one of the two meeting rooms that evening... possibly
both.  I believe that they are both sufficiently large enough to work
Hafla-wise, but will defer to someone with more experience in these matters.
  (Hence, the site visit!)

Since the site CANNOT guarantee that we will get the use of either of the
meeting rooms, I also CANNOT announce that a Hafla will happen.  I am
working on finding a backup Hafla site, either at the school adjacent to the
site or at the hotel, so that we will know for sure that it will happen.  We
can "word of mouth" it to folks that the Hafla is *very* likely to happen,
but we can't officially announce it until I know there will be a site for
it.  I'm sure y'all understand.  :)

First things last...

In the event flyer, there are a pair of statements which might confuse some
folks, since they seem to contradict each other.  The first says "$5 before
2/2, $8 at the door", and the second says "due to site restrictions, money
cannot be exchanged on site".  How can you pay "at the door" and not be
exchanging money on site???

The community center does not permit groups to charge admission for their
activities, though we may collect money in advance, afterwards, or even at
the same time PROVIDED we don't do it on their property.  To alleviate the
confusion, the flyer will be changed to read "$5 before 2/2, $8 after".  Our
on-site troll table will be solely to check people in and distribute site
tokens.  Guests who are not pre-registered will fill out the proper
paperwork, but will NOT receive a site token.

We are still working the details as to how to handle walk-ups, and it may
take one of several forms, including the possibility of having an off-site
Troll station.  Once I and the Barony come up with a solution, we'll let
y'all know how it will play out.  If you have a suggestion, by all means,
please suggest!  The best thing everybody can do right now is to push
heavily for pre-registrations and try to minimize the problem altogether.
:)

The Symosium website is http://isenfir.org/academie/symposium   It has not
been updated recently, but I *hope* (hope hope) that it will be soon.
(Bryan???)  We will be including maps, class listings, contact information,
and anything else that may be of use.  The website is our primary vehicle
for getting pre-event information out to our guests, so if you have any
specific suggestions for information that you currently don't see there,
please let Bryan *and* me know.

Finally, this mailing list is for everybody's use, not just mine.  If you
have any ideas or suggestions, concerns, or general questions that you'd
like to see addressed, please feel free to use this list.  The question you
ask might be of vital interest to others.  Besides, I'm getting lonely being
the only person talking about the Symposium right now.  ;)

Thanks!  Happy Twelfth Night, and I hope to see many, if not all of you,
this weekend.  Dress warmly, and don't say the s-word too often when talking
about the weather!  :)

-Vard