ads3: Staff and Site Update

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 19 13:38:26 PST 2001

Good afternoon, everybody!

Staff Update
============
We have added another member to the ADS3 event staff!  Iz'dihara al Hakima
bint Durr (Karen Beary) has agreed to help Khalilla (Bambi Smith) as her
Deputy for our Middle Eastern track of classes.  Our staff now looks like
this:

- Autocrat: Still me, Edvard Gayer (Ken Buzzard) scavard at hotmail.com
- Troll/Reservations: Amalia Kunne (Heather Kriebel) heather at kriebel.com
- Class Coordinator: Constanza de Tallavera (Sharon Buczko)
sharon at cybernothing.org
- Middle Eastern Class Coordinator: Khalilla / Lady Maria Beatriz la Mora
(Bambi Smith) walladah at yahoo.com
- Deputy ME CLass Coordinator: Iz'dihara al Hakima bint Durr (Karen Beary)
Karen_Beary at gtsi.com
- Refreshments: Katerina von Breslau (Beth Smith) tklitty at erols.com
- Band Coordinator: Anne of Carthew (Barbara Bilodeau) acarthew at cox.rr.com
- Chirurgeon: Reinhardt von Gluckstadt (Chris Parks) scakiwi at hotmail.com
- Dance Master (Ball): Gregory Blount (Greg Lindahl) lindahl at pbm.com
- Webslinger: Bryan Morgan (David Oxford) dmo at pqa.com

Site Update
===========
For the benefit of those who are planning the various aspects of the day's
activities, here's a quick run-down of the specifics of the site.  We will
be in the Southern Community Center, which is open to the public.  Our event
will occupy the majority of the facility, but there are still two rooms
which may be used by other organizations throughout the day for other
scheduled activity.  There is a Seniors BINGO game held every Saturday
afternoon in one of the rooms, so they have a standing reservation, though
there is some question as to whether they will come out in early February.

If either of the two small meeting rooms are NOT taken by the time we arrive
Saturday morning, the Community Center has promised that we can use them.
For planning purposes, however, we can only count on the three large dance
rooms.

The dance rooms themselves are adjacent to one another, separated by
motorized fold-away room dividers.  The dimensions of the rooms are quite
generous:

Room 1: 37' wide x 31' long.  (1147 sq ft)
Room 2: 37' wide x 26' long.  (962 sq ft)
Room 3: 30' wide x 34' long.  (1020 sq ft)

Set into the wall of Room 1 is a performance stage, 26' wide x 15' deep,
which is in addition to the dimensions provided above.  We will be using all
3 rooms for our 3 dance tracks during the day, and will combine rooms 1&2
for the Grand Ball that evening.  (37' wide x 57' long, plus stage... hubba
hubba!)

Unlike the wonderful sprung wood floors of the site we used for the last ADS
in Isenfir, these floors are tile/linoleum over poured concrete.... the type
of floors consistent with school classrooms.  Nothing to crow over, but
slightly better than the bare concrete we've danced on at other events
(including Pennsic).

The dividers between the rooms are fairly thin sound-wise, and I am
concerned about bleedover of music from one classroom to another.  Since
this is the same site Dun Carraig uses for it's weekly fighter practices and
monthly business meetings, I'll have plenty of opportunity to visit there
and see what can be done.  It may not be a problem, but it *is* something to
keep in mind while scheduling our classes.

If we get one of the two meeting rooms, my initial plans are to set it aside
as a general "schmoozing" area -- a place for folks to hang out if not
actively taking a class.  If we get BOTH rooms (hope hope hope), we can use
the other room for a mini lecture track.  I've asked members of the Dance
Academie to have a lecture or two saved in their hip pocket, just in case we
get the opportunity.  You may also want to pass word around to folks you
know outside of the Academie, and give Constanza a heads' up so we don't end
up with too many lectures to effectively schedule.

Hotel Update
============
We've got the contract now in hand for our hotel.  We have a block of rooms
reserved at the Beacon Harbor Comfort Inn for $66!  This is a BARGAIN, since
rooms there are normally around $85 off-season, and over $100 in-season.
Our initial block is for 15 rooms, but more can be added if necessary.  The
property only has 60 rooms, so we've already got 1/4 of the facility.  I'm
encouraging folks to book early if they know they're going to need a room...
that way, we'll be better-able to get more rooms from the hotel.  I'm
checking to see if they have any conference facilities there, to try to
offer a place for a Hafla or a post-revel.  More info later as things
unfold.

Website Update
==============
The event website (http://isenfir.org/academie/symposium) is now up and
running.  It's still pretty early, so the only info there right now is a
copy of our event flyer, but as things develop the site will be updated
regularly.

Other News
==========
In case you haven't yet heard, the Dance Symposium has already scored a
major "first".  The University of Atlantia will be extending University
credit for all classes taken at the Symposium!  To my knowledge, this is the
first time the U of A has done this, and I'm glad that it happened on our
watch!  :)  Just one more reason to expect a decent turnout for the
Symposium.

Okay, that's all from me.  Thanks for listening, and have a Happy Turkey
Day!

-V
-----
Lord Edvard Gayer, Secretary