ads3: Dance Symposium Mailing List

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 12 14:38:55 PST 2001

As Dr. Nick would say, "Good Afternoon, Everybody!"

Thanks to Master Gregory, we have kicked-off a new mailing list for the
Atlantian Dance Symposium III Staff.  The address for postings to this list
is ads3 at pbm.com.  I expect traffic to be fairly low-volume, but I wanted
there to be a single condiut for information, just so everybody is on the
same page as things begin to play out.

I want to start this off by thanking everyone who has volunteered to help us
coordinate this upcoming event, and to provide y'all a listing of the other
staff members so you'll know who to go to (or who to send people to) when
things come up.  Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!

Here's the run-down of our crew, as it stands today:

- Autocrat: Edvard Gayer (Ken Buzzard), scavard at hotmail.com, 301-737-0437
- Reservations/Troll: Amalia Künne (Heather Kriebel), heather at Kriebel.com,
301-705-5267
- Crash Space Coordinator: TBD
- Class Coordinator: Constanza de Tallavera (Sharon Buczko),
sharon at cybernothing.org, 703-551-2174
- Assistant Class Coordinator, Middle Eastern Track: Maria Beatriz la Mora
(Bambi Smith), walladah at yahoo.com
- Band Coordinator: Anne of Carthew (Barbara Bilodeau), acarthew at cox.rr.com,
703-427-6271
- Dance Master: Gregory Blount (Greg Lindahl), lindahl at pbm.com
- Chirurgeon: Reinhardt von Glückstadt (Chris Parks), scakiwi at hotmail.com
- Refreshments: Katerina von Breslau (Beth Smith), tlkitty at erols.com,
301-863-5481
- Webslinger: Brian Morgun (David Oxford), dmo at pqa.com

[Please check the info above and let me know of any corrections or additions
ASAP.]

We will be adding a Crash Space Coordinator sometime in the next month -- a
Dun Carraiger who will pair up empty beds with folks who would prefer to
avoid staying in a hotel.  We may also tap someone to be in charge of
decorations for the site.

The event flyer information is nearly finalized... I received the signed
contract for the site on Wednesday, and will be faxed the contract for our
hotel tomorrow.  (We got a phenominal rate for the hotel!)  Once the ink
dries on the last contract, I'll complete the event flyer and fire it off to
Gwen for the January =Acorn=.  I will cut/paste a text-only copy of the
flyer as it stands now.

Our website is up, thanks to Lord Bryan.  Hopefully, I'll get him some
detailed info so we can replace our holding page soon.  <grin>  The URL is
http://isenfir.org/academie/symposium/

Our site is the Southern Community Center in Lusby, MD.  It's part of the
Calvert County Parks & Recs department, and is a public facility.  They have
three VERY large dance/recital rooms, two meeting rooms, and an assortment
of individual offices, and shares their parking lot with the local library.

It is important to note that while we have nearly all of the site, we do NOT
have the entire site.  We have the three VERY large dance/recital rooms, but
we have neither of the meeting rooms.  One of the meeting rooms is used for
a regularly-scheduled Saturday afternoon BINGO session by the local Seniors,
and has been reserved for their use.  If the Seniors cancel or are a
no-show, we can use it.  The other meeting room is currently unreserved.  If
the P&R department do not get a request for the other room by the day of our
event, we can have it too.

The three dance rooms are adjacent to one another, with fold-away room
dividers splitting them up.  We will be using all three rooms during the day
for our three tracks of classes, and will use two of the three for our Ball
that evening.  If we need the third room for the Ball, we can get it, but it
will increase our site cost by 50%.

The largest of the three rooms includes a seperate stage area, which will be
used by our Band during the ball.  I have attended dances there in the past
and while the acoustics aren't phenominal, they certainly aren't that bad.

Here's a breakdown of the schedule we're currently planning to:

10am - Site opens to staff (set up, decorating, etc)
11am - Site opens to public
12noon - Classes begin  (three, 5 hour tracks)
5pm - Classes end
--Dinner Break--
7pm - Ball begins
10:30pm - Ball ends
11pm - Site closes (cleanup begins)
11:30pm - Staff off-site

There *may* be a Baronial court, so things may juggle a bit.  There is NO
on-site feast planned, but there are plenty of nearby places to eat
within a 10 minute radius.

The three biggest tasks right now as I see them are:
1 - Lining up our classes.  Constanza and Bambi are working on that.  We
will also touch base with some OOK folks who have expressed interest in
coming to teach.
2 - Ironing out the details for the Grand Ball.  Gregory is in charge of the
dancing, and Anne has the musicians.  They'll work on a set list, order of
dance, and the competitions.
3 - Publicity.  Our event is opposite Ymir, and though we will draw from a
different audience, we will nonetheless need to make sure we don't get
ignored in the Kingdom's rush to it's first big fighting event of the new
year.  Also, since the site prohibits us from taking money, we need to
*really* push folks to pre-register.  Word of mouth is good, force-feeding
info to our local Chroniclers is better still.  If anyone needs/wants a
softcopy of the event flyer, let me know, or check the website where I'm
certain we'll post one for downloading.  :)

Here's the event flyer.  Thank you all, and welcome aboard!
-Vard

-----event flyer follows-----

February 9th - Atlantian Dance Symposium III
Barony of Dun Carraig, Lusby, MD

Come join the Barony of Dun Carraig and the Atlantian Dance Academie as we
host the Third Atlantian Dance Symposium, to be held on February 9th in
Lusby, MD.  This Symposium will feature more instruction than ever before
offered - a planned 15 hours!  There will be something for every level of
dancer, from the very beginner to the very experienced.  And when the
classes end, the day will culminate with a Grand Ball!

Two complete tracks of instruction in Western dances from England, France
and Italy will be offered, including material never before taught in
Atlantia.  And if that's not enough, this winter's Symposium will also
feature a track of Middle Eastern dance!  Following that, what better way to
cap-off a day of learning new dances than by having a chance to strut your
stuff?  In a continuance of Atlantia's newest tradition, the Dance Academie
and Ponte Alto's Harp and Drum Corp are pleased to announce that a Grand
Ball will be held in the evening until the site closes.

Website:  For the most current information regarding the Symposium,
including our list of classes, please visit the Symposium website at
http://isenfir.org/academie/symposium/

Feast:  There is NO feast planned for this event.  There will be a 2 hour
break between the last class and the Grand Ball, and there are several fine
restaurants in the vicinity.  Maps and directions will be provided, or check
the website for further information.

Hotel:  A block of rooms have been reserved at the Comfort Inn Beacon Marina
in Solomons, MD.  The flat per-room rate is $66, including breakfast.  This
is a GREAT rate for a nice hotel right on the water.  Call (410) 326-6303
before 1/26 and ask for the “SCA” group rate.

Instructors/Musicians:  Gentles wishing to offer a class for instruction at
the Symposium should contact the Class Coordinator, Lady Constanza de
Tallavera (Sharon Buczko), (703) 551-2174 (NLT 10pm),
sharon at cybernothing.com.  Musicians wishing to play during the Grand Ball
should contact the Band Coordinator, Mistress Anne of Carthew (Barbara
Bilodeau), (703) 427-6271 (NLT 10pm), acarthew at cox.rr.com.

Site Fee/Registration:  The site fee is $5.00 per person received by 2/2,
$8.00 if received after 2/2 or at the door.  **Advance registration is
STRONGLY encouraged, as site rules prohibit money from changing hands on
site.**  Children 12 and under are half-price, those 5 and under are guests
of the Barony.  Please make your check payable to "Barony of Dun
Carraig/SCA, Inc."  Please list SCA and mundane names, and include
electronic address if you wish to receive confirmation of registration.
Send to: Lady Amalia Künne (Heather Kriebel), 1210 Addison Ct, Waldorf, MD
20602.  (301) 705-5267 (NLT 10pm), heather at kriebel.com.

Site:  The Symposium will be held in the Southern Community Center, 20
Appeal Lane, Lusby, MD  20657.  Site opens at 11am and will close at 11pm.
The site is BONE DRY.  No live steel, no pets, no smoking permitted.

Autocrat:  Lord Edvard Gayer (Ken Buzzard), 21635 Weatherby Lane, Lexington
Park, MD  20653, (301) 737-0437 (NLT 11pm), scavard at hotmail.com.

Directions: