academie: Lybens Confusion

Judithsca at aol.com Judithsca at aol.com
Mon Aug 21 08:47:36 PDT 2006

So, as I saw some confusion at Pennsic regarding Lybens, I thought I would
post the reason as to why there is...
    When the Gresley Manuscript was first published, it was  done in great
haste, and close attention was not paid to the repeat structure of  the music
that went with the choreographies.  So the music to Lybens was  published with
the B-part only repeating once.  From there, people  reconstructed it based on
music with an incorrect repeat structure.  Then,  five or six years ago, some
early musicians were studying a facsimile of the  original manuscript, and
they noticed that there should have been a repeat on  the B-section.  As you can
imagine, this severely changed the picture of  the choreography of the dance.
So, now we have two versions of the dance  running around, one to the music
with a correct repeat structure, the other  not.  Some people seem to refuse to
want to alter their image of the dance  to reflect the new repeat structure
of the music (i.e. they now dance the old  B-part choreography four times
through because they now have twice as much  music), as I saw at Pennsic.
   Then there is also the debate about the "tert" and  "retret',and whether
those are doubles, singles, pive, or what...

Judith