academie: Performer's Symposium IV

L Shuskey/Elize elizedanizza at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 12 12:46:11 PDT 2005

Thanks to a hard drive crash in April, I'm JUST
getting this email...

Isenfir sounds like a good idea.  I agree also that
combining the dance & performance symposia is a good
idea, and has been beneficial in the past.  I would
like to see that tradition continue.  The
February/March dates seem to happen simply because the
rest of the year gets very busy with events, and it is
hard to find a suitable date at other times.  Too,
indoor events make more sense in the winter when it's
too cold to do much outside.  The downside is that
weather can decrease attendance, but we always manage
to work around that.

Having rooms with doors for the dance classes is
always a plus.  On the other hand, having rooms big
enough to move in is also important.  I think that it
a large part of the issue from the last symposium.  In
order to have space, the trade-off was music bleeding
over.  All things considered, we made it work, and the
autocrat was most gracious in doing everything she
could to make it work well.

Once there is more concrete info re: site and date,
someone please be sure to post it.  Most events for us
these days are last-minute
I-think-we-can-pull-this-off trips, but the Symposiums
is always a non-negotiable calendar entry (right up
until the ice starts falling from the sky at
least)...even if it means studying for exams in the
car.

Elize

--- Catherine Dean <catherinedean at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I want to write in support of the Isenfir bid to
> hold the next AP&DS.  For such a specialized event
> it is nice to have such a central location and, I'll
> wager, we would get very good attendance (both local
> and non-).
>
> One of my goals (and I've talked with Bryan about
> this but no one else yet, so Academians, feel free
> to weigh in) is to try to attract more out of
> kingdom attendees for the next dance symposium
> (students, but also particularly teachers).  I know
> the travelling dance community well and I think we
> can convince some very good teachers to come and
> also possibly get some folks to travel down from
> Aethelmarc or up from Meridies with the right
> promotion (especially if there are good teachers).
> We can all benefit from the exchange of ideas that
> happens when folks from other regions come to teach
> and learn and its an awful lot of fun to have out of
> kingdom visiting "celebrity" teachers--folks you
> don't see at every university or every local
> practice.  (And yes, this is an offer to handle
> scheduling and publicity if the event is held in
> Charlottesville, although we would probably need an
> actual Isenfiri to autocrat. ;)  ).
>

> I agree with everyone who has suggested that the
> Performer's Symposium and the Dance Symposium have
> worked very well together in the past and that we
> should continue as a joint event.  I love the idea
> of fostering a sense of community between dancers
> and other performance artists in the kingdom  And I
> love the more diverse classlist we get as a result.
>
> I also agree with everyone who has pointed out the
> problems that we had sharing a single room for
> dance.  I know everyone knew at the time that this
> was a less than ideal situation, but if we're going
> to continue to share an event we need to make sure
> that there is sufficient space for at least two
> tracks (preferrably three if we have it in central
> VA) of dance classes (i.e. individual large rooms
> (with doors) for each class, NOT carpeted and
> preferrably without concrete floors, although I know
> that can be hard to find).
>
> (Isenfiri on the list--would the Waldorf school in
> crozet be a possibility?  Could we get some of the
> classrooms for non-dance classes and just hangout
> space?  IIRC, the school had at least two, maybe
> three largish rooms with wooden floors).
>
> [Corun writes]:
> Right now the traiditional (do something three times
> it becomes Tradition) time frame is late February
> early March.
>
> Didn't we used to have ADS (before it became AD&PS)
> twice a year?  At least in theory, even if we
> skipped numbers once or twice.
>
> Katherine

Argent, a pale purpure cotised vert between two sprigs of lavender proper.

"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.  L'essentiel est invisible aux yeux."

          (One only sees well with the heart.  The essential is invisible to the eyes.)

                    - Antoine de St. Exupery, from Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince)