academie: Bransle du Chandelier (Candlestick)

L Shuskey/Elize elizedanizza at yahoo.com
Wed May 12 08:29:52 PDT 2004

This took a little longer than anticipated.  The notes were on my old computer, which was at mom's house and took a lot of smoke...which means I'm having to pull from memory and one note I had in hard copy that just tells what music we used.

We were "bound" by the recording we were using, which I only have noted as "Arbeau track 11."  I remember that the recording had a rather long pause between parts A and B, which I think we used for the reverence/passing of the candle.

So from memory, here's roughly what we did:
Section A - 4 doubles that end in small kicks.  Section repeats for a total of 7 doubles in this recording.  Followed by a pause that is roughly equal in length to a double.
Section B - Slow step-kick-step-kick to find new partner.  I seem to recall the music playing this part three times through.

The difficulty is that both sections suggest that the dancer is looking for a new partner, but we know from Arbeau's description ahead of the tabulation that they should be dancing together some.  To work around this, we could have the first dancer choose a partner quickly so that they are ready to pass the candle by the pause.  The subsequent couples get to dance together the full length of section A.

That said, I have another note that says "7 to partner then reverence; 3 with partner then reverence, passing candlestick."  That would suggest the reverse, with the couple only dancing together the length of part B.

In short, yes, Arbeau is pretty vague.  I'd love to see how others are doing it as well, if you don't mind sharing what you or others are thinking.

Elize

L Shuskey/Elize <elizedanizza at yahoo.com> wrote:
We reconstructed it and used it as a performance piece for a program here on campus last winter.  I don't have the info in front of me, but I'll try to pull out the cheat sheets I made for it.  It's rather like a simplified form of Ballo del Fiore from what I remember...

Elize

Judithsca at aol.com wrote:
Hail, fellow dancers!
How have various people reconstructed and performed the Candlestick bransle? The directions are so wonderfully vague that there is so much room for interpretation. I am curious how various people have put the written instructions into practice.

Argent, a pale purpure cotised vert between two sprigs of lavender proper.

"On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.  L'essentiel est invisible aux yeux."

          (One only sees well with the heart.  The essential is invisible to the eyes.)

                    - Antoine de St. Exupery, from Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince)