academie: Dance speed

corun at medievalist.org corun at medievalist.org
Sun Apr 4 11:34:24 PDT 2004

Dear Dancers,

A friend of mine in the lute community is working on a piece by John
Dowland called simply A Galliard (I really hate it when composers don't
name anything beyond the kind of piece it is which always leads to half a
dozen A Galliards, or thirty Pavans), etc.). This piece is in Cm if that
helps anyone in identifying it.

Anyway, his question revolves around the complexity of the piece and he
wonders if it should be played faster than a usual galliard. I could not
tell him as I am A) unfamiliar with much of Downlands dance pieces, and B)
I find that dancers often want a piece played faster than we in Harp and
Drum usually practice it. I don't know if this is from actual knowledge on
your part of how fast a given dance style should be played versus you just
liking a faster, bouncier dance.

If someone can answer this question I'd appreciate it. If you can give me
the answer as a quarter note = X that would be even more helpful.

Thank you,
Corun