academie: Letter of Dance Subscriptions

Letter of Dance letterofdance at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 14:31:35 PST 2001

Unto the dancers of the Knowne World does Katherine
Mercer, new editor of the Letter of Dance, send
holiday greetings.

As many of you already know, I will be taking over
publication of the Letter of Dance from Master WIlliam
of Redcape as soon as issue 40 is published and volume
five completed (hopefully very very soon).

The time has come, then, to ask for your support.
Please consider subscribing or resubscribing to the
Letter or giving a subscription as a gift.

Subscriptions to the Letter of Dance consist of 8
issues and cost $12 to US and APO addresses, $14 to
Canada and $20 to Europe and elsewhere.  I hope to
publish issues every two to three months as an
academic schedule and submissions allow.  My aim is to
distribute the first issue of volume five in February
or March depending on when Master WIlliam finishes his
final issue.

Checks or Money Orders should be made out to Catherine
Dean in US Dollars (unfortunately I cannot accept
checks in foriegn currency or cash) and mailed to me
at: The Letter of Dance, c/o Catherine Dean, 2006
Columbia Pike, Apt. #12, Arlington, VA 22204.  If you
drop me an e-mail at letterofdance at yahoo.com I will
keep an eye open and let you know if your check does
not make it. Also feel free to e-mail me with any
questions you may have.

If you have subscribed to LoD in the past and do not
think you received all of your issues (current
subscribers should have received issues through 39),
please contact me.

**PLEASE NOTE**  Subscriptions to LoD will NO LONGER
include a complimentary tape or cd.  Unfortuantely it
has become increasingly difficult to produce and
distribute the tapes of dance in a timely manner.  ToD
4 is only now being distributed to subscribers, three
and a half years after the volume it was intended to
accopmany was finished.  I am uncomfortable accepting
money from you all for a cd which may or may not be
possible to produce and in any case will be delayed
for several years.

Current plans are to continue to produce Tapes of
Dance if at all possible and to distribute them at low
cost.   One possibility which I am seriously
considering is producing a single cd to cover selected
dances from volumes five *and* six, particularly since
many of the dances in those volumes do not have freely
available recorded music.  Everyone who was a paid
subscriber prior to today (December 28th, 2001) will
receive a free copy of the next Tape of Dance when it
is produced as promised, but from today, subscriptions
will be for the newsletter only.

I am not lowering the cost of a subscription to the
Letter of Dance.  This change represents the first
increase in cost of the Letter since it was first
produced in 1989.  Some of the costs associated with
the Letter of Dance have decreased in that time
(particularly reproducing the cds and printing the
issues) but postage has gone up and the average size
of the Letter of Dance has increased substantially.  I
still think that the cost of a subscription represents
a good value.

Happy New Year,
Katherine

=====