academie: A Day on the Grand Canal and Looking for Musicians

Miriam Robinson Gould madame_sosostris at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 19 06:20:32 PST 2001

Hey, everyone,

I just want to let you all know about an event that's coming up in
Windmaster's Hill in April (April 12-14) called A Day On the Grand Canal.
Before I get into what has turned into a rather lengthy description, I'd
like to start by announcing that I'm looking for musicians who would be
willing to play at this event.  Please e-mail me if you have any interest.

As this is a Venetian themed event, we're hoping to make dance a significant
componant.  Both schedule and specific events are still tentative, but we
recently had a big event meeting where we hashed a lot of the details out.
The plan is to have a late morning/early afternoon dance, which will run
according to a modification of the Caroso format. There will be a set list
of dances and separate seating for those wishing to participate and those
wishing to watch.  One person will select a partner and a dance and have the
option of dancing either for performance (i.e. one set) or socially (whoever
wants to get up and dance).  The idea is to mingle the SCA ideal of social
dancing with an Italian sense of dance-as-performance.

In addition to this, we will hopefully (*grin* if I get in gear and start
arranging it!) also be having a spectacular masque as part of the feast
entertainment.

If there is demand for it, we have the option of having dancing Friday night
and post-feast as the autocrat is very supportive of dance.  The feast is
currently scheduled to run fairly late, so post-feast dancing will be
informal.  *grin*  I'm lazy, hate camping, and tend to daytrip, so Friday
night dancing will also be either informal or non-existant unless people
give me an idea that they'd be interested in having something more formal
when I still have time to arrange things.  So perceived interest will
determine whether there's a whole lot of dancing at this event or an average
amount.

The event web page is at www.geocities.com/ladysveva/GrandCanal.html  We're
still fairly early in our planning, so there will be much more upon it in
the coming months as we finalize details.

In service,

Sayidda Tahira bint Ibrahim al-Ishbiliyya

Triangle Middle-Eastern Dance:  events, teachers, vendors, and more!
www.geocities.com/sayiddatahira/meddance.html

Medieval and Renaissance Story Sources
www.geocities.com/sayiddatahira/folklore.html