academie: Event info/recommendation

SCAEtain at aol.com SCAEtain at aol.com
Thu Nov 29 10:13:44 PST 2001

Lady Fionnghuala,

You'll probably get replies from Vard (12th Night Dance person) and Judith (Dance revel person), but just in case, I thought I'd answer.

12th Night is not a really good first event, even though I'm sure the dancing will be great. The event involves a lot of people dressing up and hanging out with old friends. There are at Least 2 long courts. They will be full of stuff a new person wouldn't understand or care about. I took my mother to a 12th Night for her first event, and she was completely bored. It's great when you have old friends to talk to, or new garb to show off, but otherwise, I wouldn't take a new person.

Dance Revel is a small event, so everyone talks to everyone. There will be lots of good dancing and teaching all day. It's an ideal event for a first time. There will be lots of stuff for people to do if they get tired- we have a gaming guild, and the Kingdom chatelaine (who resides in Lochmere) is hosting a bag game. Plus it's an event know for short, timely, highly edible feasts.

I hate to tell you not to come to 12th Night, since I'm sure it will be a nice event, but huge and impersonal isn't the best way to introduce a brand new person to the SCA. If you do decide to bring your SO, be sure to find us dance people to hang out with.

Lady Etain