academie: Dance Track at February University

Catherine E. Dean cdean at gwu.edu
Fri Nov 23 16:51:22 PST 2001

Unto Lady Ysolt la Bretonne does Katherine Mercer, of the Academie Atlantienne
del Dance, send warmest winter greetings.

As has been the case at previous university sessions, the members of the
Atlantian Dance Academie would like to request a set of classes devoted to the
art of dance.  We have prepared a full track of six classes taught by five
different instructors which we would like to offer to the populace at the
coming
February 2nd university session.

I have provided below the title, description, length, size limitations, fees,
special requirements and name and contact information for instructors for each
class.  If at all possible, we would like all six classes to be in the
specified
order and in a single room.  This not only gives us continuity, but also makes
the set-up and clean-up much easier!  While none of the classes have specific
requirements, it would be most helpful to us if you could provide us with one
of
the largest rooms available as we have several classes which will hopefully
draw
a large number of students, and as you know, dancing takes up a great deal of
space!  Also, if possible, a room without carpet would be preferable to one
with
carpet if there is a choice.

If you have any further questions regarding our courses or any of my requests,
please do not hesitate to contact me.  My e-mail will be down for routine
maintenance tomorrow (Saturday November 24th) but it should be back up by
Sunday
afternoon.

In Service,
Katherine

1st hour:
Title:  Dancing at Events: Delight or Disaster?
Teacher: Lord Edvard Gayer, Ken Buzzard
Do you want dancing at your event? Have you ever wondered why dancing works at
some events, but doesn't at others? Come and learn how to coordinate your
event
schedule, what to look for in a site, and how to avoid many of the common
pitfalls so that dancing will not only be successful, but will also be a
highlight of the day's activities.
Length: 1 hour
Size Limit: None
Fee: None
Contact information for teacher: scavard at hotmail.com
Special Equipment or Needs: None

2nd hour:
Title: Pavans and Almans
Teacher: Lord Stefan of Cambion, Stephen Kiefert
These dances are suitable for beginners and involve no fast
movement or complicated footwork, basically walking. they come
from the london inns of court of the 1570s but are not english
country dancing (no siding and arming). Dances will include black
alman, madame sosilia, lorayne alman, quadran pavan.
Length: 1 hour
Size Limit: none
Fee: none
Contact information for teacher: lanhamlaw at worldnet.att.net
Special Equipment or Needs: none

3rd hour:
Title: Getting Down and Flirtatious: Basses Danses
Teacher: Lady Judith of Northumbria, Rachel Lorenz
Relatively slow, low to the ground, without any sort of hopping, these very
simple dances were THE way to dance in 15th c. Europe, including Spain,
France,
Italy and Germany. All steps will be taught. Some of dances to be taught:
Lauro,
Tourin, Casuelle la Nouvelle, M'amie.
Length: 1 hour
Size Limit: none
Fee: none
Contact information for teacher: Judithsca at aol.com
Special Equipment or Needs: none

4th hour:
Title: Bizzaria d’Amore
Teacher: Lady Katherine Mercer, Cathy Dean
16th Century dance doesn’t have to be scary or hard!  Bizzaria d’Amore is a
fun
and flirtatious dance for two couples which is done using only six different
steps (one of which popped up later in the Charleston).  No previous knowledge
of 16th Century dance is necessary and all steps will be taught, but some
previous experience in English Country and/or 15th Century Italian dance is
recommended.
Length: 1 hour
Size Limit: 16
Fee: none
Contact information for teacher: cdean at gwu.edu
Special Equipment or Needs: none

5th hour:
Title: Yes, You CAN Dance -- A Basic Introduction to Renaissance Dance in
Atlantia
Teacher: Lord Bryan Morgan, David Oxford
Afraid to dance at events because it seems like everyone else knows the dances
already?  Then this class is for you!  Come learn several EASY and FUN dances
that are frequently danced here in Atlantia.  We will cover Turkish Branle,
Official Branle Rufty Tufty, and others.  No previous dance experience
necessary.
Length: 1 hour
Size Limit: none
Fee: none
Contact information for teacher: dmo at pqa.com
Special Equipment or Needs: none

6th hour:
Title: Menage à Deux: Couple dances in the 15th c. Italian Tradition
Teacher: Lady Judith of Northumbria, Rachel Lorenz
Couple dances were flirtatious, popular, and only required *two* people to
dance
them. This class is dedicated to the intermediate level of dance. One should
already know, or be familiar with, the following terms: singles, double,
ripresa
(sideways double), and piva (skipping double). Dances to be covered:
Leoncello,
Marchesana, la Gratiosa, all of which will be reviewed at the end of class,
time
permitting.
Length: 1 hour
Size Limit: none
Fee: none
Contact information for teacher: Judithsca at aol

Catherine E. Dean
cdean at gwu.edu
Jane Austen Afficianado, Renaissance Dancer, and Future Museum Professional Extraordinaire
SCA: Lady Katherine Mercer
No one who had met Catherine would have supposed her to have been born a heroine --JA