academie: Palming (was Pavanna la Cornetta)

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Nov 21 12:20:55 PST 2001

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 03:16:10PM -0500, Edvard Gayer wrote:

> To make certain we're on the same page, and that we're not using the same
> name for two different things....  The hand-holding we did for the "Palming"
> bit was "M&W holding hands, elbows bent, forearm vertical, hand at
> shoulder/neck level."
>
> Out of curiosity, if this is not "palming", what is this called, and what
> *is* palming?

The "palming" in the (bad modern choreography) Mannschaft Pavane is
like that, only you don't hold hands in a handshake grip, you press
your palms together.

Period paintings and woodcuts show people almost always holding hands
as low as possible. Note that this means that you are pretty close to
your partner. So if your object is to turn while staying close to your
partner, you can just hold hands in the usual fashion. I wish more
teachers of dance would point this out.

Gregory Blount