academie: Feb. University Courses

Catherine E. Dean cdean at gwu.edu
Sun Nov 18 10:57:24 PST 2001

Greetings fellow Atlantian Dancers:

Here is the semi-final list of classes for February University.  Teachers,
please read over your course descriptions and let me know if there are any
changes you would like made to them.  I am also missing several specific
pieces
of information (Judith’s mundane name, Bryan’s SCA last name, Bryan’s class
description—I don’t want to mess these up, so please send them to me ASAP!).
Also please tell me if you want a course limit added, or if you would prefer a
different time slot (the assignment was more-or-less random).  I will request
the largest room possible, with access to a power source.  I will assume that
we
do *not* need the University to provide us with any special equiptment (ie.
boom
boxes) and that we can handle it ourselves.

Katherine

1st hour:
Title:  Dancing at Events: Delight or Disaster?
Teacher: Lord Edvard Gayer, Ken Buzzard
Do you want dancing at your event? Have you ever wondered why dancing works at
some events, but doesn't at others? Come and learn how to coordinate your
event
schedule, what to look for in a site, and how to avoid many of the common
pitfalls so that dancing will not only be successful, but will also be a
highlight of the day's activities.
Length: 1 hour
Size Limit: None
Fee: None
Contact information for teacher: scavard at hotmail.com
Special Equipment or Needs: None

2nd hour:
Title: Pavans and Almans
Teacher: Lord Stefan of Cambion, Stephen Kiefert
These dances are suitable for beginners and involve no fast
movement or complicated footwork, basically walking. they come
from the london inns of court of the 1570s but are not english
country dancing (no siding and arming). Dances will include black
alman, madame sosilia, lorayne alman, quadran pavan.
Length: 1 hour
Size Limit: none
Fee: none
Contact information for teacher: lanhamlaw at worldnet.att.net
Special Equipment or Needs: none

3rd hour:
Title: Getting Down and Flirtatious: Basses Danses
Teacher: Lady Judith of Northumbria, ???
Relatively slow, low to the ground, without any sort of hopping, these very
simple dances were THE way to dance in 15th c. Europe, including Spain,
France,
Italy and Germany. All steps will be taught. Some of dances to be taught:
Lauro,
Tourin, Casuelle la Nouvelle, M'amie.
Length: 1 hour
Size Limit: none
Fee: none
Contact information for teacher: Judithsca at aol.com
Special Equipment or Needs: none

4th hour:
Title: Bizzaria d’Amore
Teacher: Lady Katherine Mercer, Cathy Dean
16th Century dance doesn’t have to be scary or hard!  Bizzaria d’Amore is a
fun
and flirtatious dance for two couples which is done using only six different
steps (one of which popped up later in the Charleston).  No previous knowledge
of 16th Century dance is necessary and all steps will be taught, but some
previous experience in English Country and/or 15th Century Italian dance is
recommended.
Length: 1 hour
Size Limit: 16
Fee: none
Contact information for teacher: cdean at gwu.edu
Special Equipment or Needs: none

5th hour:
Title: Yes, You CAN Dance -- A Basic Introduction to Renaissance Dance in
Atlantia
Teacher: Lord Bryan ???, David Oxford
???
Length: 1 hour
Size Limit: none
Fee: none
Contact information for teacher: dmo at pqa.com
Special Equipment or Needs: none

6th hour:
Title: Menage à Deux: Couple dances in the 15th c. Italian Tradition
Teacher: Lady Judith of Northumbria, ???
Couple dances were flirtatious, popular, and only required *two* people to
dance
them. This class is dedicated to the intermediate level of dance. One should
already know, or be familiar with, the following terms: singles, double,
ripresa
(sideways double), and piva (skipping double). Dances to be covered:
Leoncello,
Marchesana, la Gratiosa, all of which will be reviewed at the end of class,
time
permitting.
Length: 1 hour
Size Limit: none
Fee: none
Contact information for teacher: Judithsca at aol.com
Special Equipment or Needs: none

A few extra lines at the bottom because my e-mails often get chopped off:
A few extra lines at the bottom because my e-mails often get chopped off:
A few extra lines at the bottom because my e-mails often get chopped off:
A few extra lines at the bottom because my e-mails often get chopped off:
A few extra lines at the bottom because my e-mails often get chopped off:
A few extra lines at the bottom because my e-mails often get chopped off:
A few extra lines at the bottom because my e-mails often get chopped off:
A few extra lines at the bottom because my e-mai

Catherine E. Dean
cdean at gwu.edu
Jane Austen Afficianado, Renaissance Dancer, and Future Museum Professional Extraordinaire
SCA: Lady Katherine Mercer
No one who had met Catherine would have supposed her to have been born a heroine --JA