academie: Pavana La Cornetta, first draft

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Nov 1 07:01:43 PST 2001

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 08:38:01PM -0500, Catherine E. Dean wrote:

> This is the version that I was thinking of, although of course you
> are right to point out that I had forgotten that this was probably
> going to be processional and not for a single couple or multiple
> couples spaced widely on the floor.

Note that different places were the pavane was danced did this differently.

In England, the pavane was danced by a line of couples. In France and
Italy, it wasn't.

> Another point in favor of having
> some sort of circling motion is that circling motions separated by setting
> motions have precedent

Only in some of the places the pavane was danced. In English measures,
the Lorayne Alman has a figure at the very end where the couple
circles away from each other for a double. Not much setting in the
English measures (Black Alman, Madam Sosilia).

Gregory Blount