academie: Walters Wrap-Up

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 26 09:29:13 PDT 2001

For those not subscribed to the Merry Rose, Lord Talbot posted the following
note a day or two ago.  It's fundamentally the same note that he posted
here, but sent to a wider audience.  I thought everyone ought to see it --
it's nice.

To his note, I would add my thanks to everyone in the Academie who made this
possible.  To Judith for making time to attend the pre-demo practices and
for sacrificing a tire for the greater good.  To Steffan for his support of
the pre-demo practices and for being there both days last weekend.  To Simon
for the work he did pulling everyone together and for graciously offering
crash space during demo weekend.  To Katherine for being at almost ALL of
the 6 practices *and* both of the demo days.  And most notably to Talbot for
ensuring that the demo went as smoothly as it did.

Bright Hills got a lot of good PR out of this, which will benefit the
greater SCA as well.  In addition, the Academie made a bunch of new friends
this past weekend.  All in all, the investment in time and energy made by
everyone was well worth it.  I'm quite proud of what was accomplished.  :)

-Vard

-----Talbot's Note Follows-----

Greetings to Atlantian citizens from Talbot, Seneschal of Bright Hills,

This past weekend, our Barony hosted a demo, for which I was coordinator on
our end, as part of the grand re-opening of the Walters Art Gallery in
Baltimore.  It was a two-day affair, and it was a great success.  We got
good publicity for our Barony and for the SCA in general, and there were
many interested folk and potential new members.  The public and the Walters
staff gave us glowing reviews.  Although many of the participants in this
demo were from Bright Hills, a few were from other groups and even other
states, and I would like to recognize some of the persons who made this demo
possible:

Baron Heinrich and Baroness Barbara rounded up fighters for Saturday and got
the pavilion and list fence there and set up;

The A&S people from our Barony did an outstanding job presenting their
activities to the public; we had many terrific displays;

The fighters who attended on Saturday put on a good show; special thanks to
Lord Perrin of Storvik for being willing to come on Sunday;

The dancers from our group practiced for several weeks and performed
splendidly at the demo;

Lord Simon, our exchequer and dance teacher, helped instruct us at our
practices

The Atlantian Dance Academie put in time and travel for many days to help
teach our dancers, and put in time themselves at the demo instructing the
public; my special thanks to Lady Katherine Mercer, Lord Stefan of Cambion,
Lord Edvard Gayer, and Lady Judith of Northumbria;

The calligraphers, illuminators, and heralds: Mistress Jeanne, Lady
Daniella, and Lady Alanna not only sat in the booths for hours (away from
the rest of us), but endured having live loud bands play just a few yards in
front of them for most of the day (also thanks to Mistress Jeanne for
dealing with the pavilion on Sunday);

The Harp and Drum, that wonderful band from Ponte Alto, performed for us on
Saturday, providing us with that extra delightful touch; special thanks to
Mistress Anne of Carthew, Baron Corun MacAnndra, Lady Celia, and Lady Mary
McIntyre;

Lady Szilagy, our chronicler, re-made and printed newcomer sheets for
hand-outs, and Baron Tristan made up new (and very popular) bookmarks;

And to everyone else who showed up, helped out, talked with the public, or
what have you, my sincerest thanks and recognition go out to them as well.
This demo was quite an effort to coordinate, particularly as a first time
endeavor, and it certainly was stressful for me and others (to which those
who saw me that weekend can attest) but all of them did an
marvelous job.  Vivats to all of you!

Now, time to start preparing for Baronial Birthday...

In service, Lord Talbot
Seneschal, Barony of Bright Hills