academie: February and June University

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 09:47:20 PDT 2001

Scriptsit Gregory:
>Anyway, here's what you do. Write the Chancellor of the University,
>university at atlantia.sca.org (Ysolt la Bretonne) and say that you and
>the Academie would like to organize another dance track.

Very close, but not square-on to the truth.  You do not need to contact the
Chancellor at this point.  There is a deadline for submitting classes, and
that deadline is published in the =Acorn= and should be somewhere on the
University site (university.atlantia.sca.org).  No advance notice to the
Chancellor is required, just get the list of classes to her by the deadline.

For each class, you need a class title, a brief description, and some
indication as to the experience level required of the attendees.  For the
instructors, you need to submit their SCA and Mundane names, an email
address (if they have one), and a phone number (if they have one and don't
mind it being given).  It also helps if you indicate which, if any, of the
instructors have never taught at University before.

When I compile our classes, I go ahead and work with the instructors to
figure out the best order for them.  Experience indicates that lecture
classes should be early in the schedule, practicum classes should come
later.  If you've got two or more classes on the same type of dance, putting
them back-to-back, with the simpler of the two first, is a good idea, but
not a requirement.  If we've already got our classes in the order we would
like to have them appear on the schedule, we've lessened the Chancellor's
burden, and we get what we want... win-win.

Also, since we typically give the Chancellor a full 6-track set of classes,
we usually get all of them in the same room.  This is important, because
unlike other types of classes, we need to clear space before ours.  By
having our classes in one room, we minimize the number of times we need to
move furniture.  Having the lectures before the practicums makes it even
better.

One thing to make sure to request... since dance takes up room, we usually
require the largest classroom the site may have.  The bigger, the better.
We've had classes in tiny little rooms, and once the chairs and desks were
stacked up against the walls, we barely had room for two Amoroso sets
simultaneously.  Make sure it is made clear that we need to biggest room we
can get, and that we'll take responsibilty for setup and teardown, as well
as for restoring the room to its original state as soon as we're finished.

-Vard