academie: Some finalish info on the Walters Demo

Catherine E. Dean cdean at gwu.edu
Sun Oct 14 11:41:49 PDT 2001

Hi Folks.

Obviously this won't be the last e-mail on this topic (since I don't have the
information on where to go or even when... Talbot?), but here is some finalish
information regarding the Walters demo next weekend.

**VERY IMPORTANT**
Would anyone planning on coming to the demo PLEASE e-mail me privately at
cdean at gwu.edu, or post to the list, letting me know that you're coming and
whether you will be there friday evening, saturday, sunday, or some
combination
of the three.  Talbot has requested at least four Academie members and so far
only know of three that I'm reasonably certain of (me, vard?, stephan?)
**END VERY IMPORTANT**

First, the dances.  Vard, can you please forward this to the band?  I don't
think I saved the e-mail with their addresses.

We decided to come up with three sets of dances each of which will hopefully
be
about 30 minutes with a bit of talking.  Each set has four dances--one 15th c.
Italian, one Playford, and one other (alman or branle), and one teaching
dance.
The plan is to alternate between the sets throughout the day, and if
adjustments
are necessary because of time or boredom will be made as necessary.  The three
sets are:

Set A:
Anello
Jenny Pluck Pears
Black Alman
Sellengers Round (teaching)

Set B:
Petit Vriens
Picking of Sticks
Offical Bransle
Gathering Peascods (teaching)

Set C:
Gelosia
Horse's Bransle
Rufty Tufty
Hearts Ease (teaching) [or perhaps we should reverse RT and HE?]

Band folks, if there are any problems on this list, please please let me know.

We can substitute but we need to know before Saturday if possible.

Additional dances which could be added in by the dancers if the musicians know
them:
Black Nag
Earl of Salisbury Pavanne
Charlotte/Washerwoman's/Pease Bransles
Montarde Bransle
Amoroso

Second, garb:

At this point it's not possible to really coordinate garb even if we wanted
to.
After talking to Talbot (and correct me here, Talbot, if I'm wrong), the most
reasonable thing to do seems to be to ask all dancers to wear something nice
and
as authentic as possible, but not to worry about having the same time period
as
everyone else.

Third, crash space:

Lord Simon has graciously offered me crash space at his apartment.  I
understand
that he may be able to house a few other people as well if neccessary.  He is
on
the list, so if you send requests here, they s

Catherine E. Dean
cdean at gwu.edu
Jane Austen Afficianado, Renaissance Dancer, and Future Museum Professional Extraordinaire
SCA: Lady Katherine Mercer
No one who had met Catherine would have supposed her to have been born a heroine --JA