academie: Re: live band practice

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 3 19:57:41 PDT 2001

Talbot, et al:

All other things being equal, I would recommend the live band practice
happen on the night before the demo, which would be the 3rd Friday.  This
would allow the dancers to have things fresh in their minds, and would allow
the band the best opportunity to adapt whatever "peculiarities" that may
arise during practice.  Remember, whenever musicians and dancers get
together for the first time, they have different expectations about simple
things like number of repeats, speed of the music, and so on.  If any of
those are found during practice, the fixes have the best chance of
"sticking" if the performance is soon after the demo.

Sorry if this sounds circular, it makes sense to me, though I might not be
able to put it into words easily.  ;)

-V

-----
Lord Edvard Gayer, Secretary