academie: Maypole ?

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Mon Oct 1 07:16:56 PDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 09:06:14AM -0400, KilrRabbit at aol.com wrote:

> My local group is helping out/demoing at a local church's arts &
> crafts fair. They want to have a maypole and I was asked if I know
> anything about them, I don't. Does anyone know anything about them or
> a place I can look to get info? I figure that if they are going to
> have one they might as well do it properly, whatever that may be.

Well, we don't have any detailed pre-1600 info about Maypole dances,
and the customs have changed over time. But if they want the 18th
century maypole dance, all you need is an even number of people in a
circle holding ribbons. We'll call them men and women. They weave in
and out around the circle, with the men going one direction and the
women going the other. It's much like a circular hey or grand chain.

Gregory Blount