academie: Walters Practice Schedule

Catherine E. Dean cdean at gwu.edu
Wed Sep 19 08:55:10 PDT 2001

To the best of my knowledge I could do 2, 5, and/or 6, and might be there for
3,
but shouldn't commit to that just yet (visitor from out of town).  If there
are
others who want to do particular dates, though, I don't mind _not_ committing
myself to all of those dates, but if I"m needed, I'm there!

By the way, having more people there to teach doesn't seem to be to be a bad
idea, so if there are three or four of us there's no reason that we all,
including of course Lord Simon, couldn't just each teach one dance.  That's
more
or less what happened last time.

I'm not sure if talbot and/or simon are reading this or not, but I believe I
said it at the practice and I'll say it again.  I think we might want to cut
that list in about half so that most people can have a reasonable chance of
knowing most of the dances without run through.  Just my opinion of course.
It'll be smoother if we don't have to walk or talk through the dances, and I
have a feeling people will be happier the more comfortable they are with the
dances.

Another thing, perhaps those of us who have taken responsibility for teaching
dances at these practices should share with others the particular versions
that
we taught.  For example, I taught Black Alman (standard version, at least I've
never seen anyone do it any other way) and Official Bransle (which we did with
plain doubles and singles (rather than grapevines) and no tossing, rather
passing the lady around the circle--a strange hybrid, I know, but that's what
happened!).  I also remember recommending doing the weaving part of Gelosia
with
pive rather than contrapassi for what that's worth.

Katherine

>===== Original Message From Edvard Gayer <scavard at hotmail.com> =====
>My thanks to Stefan and Katherine for covering the first Bright Hills dance
>practice last Friday.  What we need to do next is to line-up Academie folks
>for the other 5 practices.
>
>The practices look like this:
>#1: 9/14  Stefan & Katherine
>#3: 9/28  Vard
>#5: 10/12 --?-

Catherine E. Dean
cdean at gwu.edu
http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean
No one who had met Catherine would have supposed her to have been born a heroine --JA