academie: Fwd: Re: Dance Academie @ The Walters

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 13:21:06 PDT 2001

Gang:

As time marches along, I learn more and more about the event.  Here's the
latest "evolution".

- The request for the Academie originated within Bright Hills, who had been
approached by the Walters about them doing a demo.

- The demo Bright Hills is planning is *not* just dancing, but the whole
gamut of SCA activities, including fighting, A&S, calligraphy, etc.

- They have about a half-dozen folks who want to dance, and are looking for
us to help them make that happen.  (Of course, if their half dozen were
complimented by our half or whole dozen, mores the better!)

Below is an email I recieved from the Bright Hills Seneschal, Lord Talbot.
It details the overall demo, the role that dancing plays within the demo,
and what he envisions the Academie's participation to be.  He has given me
his permission to forward this along.

In subsequent mail, he has indicated that the Bright Hills gentle who
normally handles their dancing, Lord Simon, has not yet confirmed his
availability.  Talbot isn't worried too much about the Academie stepping on
people's toes, but I would like to ensure that if there's a Bright Hills
person ostensibly "in charge" of dance that we coordinate with him/her.  For
the time being, I'm willing to be the Academie's contact with Bright Hills,
and with whomever their dance coordinator turns out to be.  (Heck, for all I
know, I might end up wearing that hat too!)

Don't worry too much about the style of dance.  Some of the info below makes
mention of ECD or other post-15th century dance.  I have posed the questions
to Talbot, and he's going to let us know what period the Walters would like
us to focus on, if any.  We may be doing strictly 15th cy stuff, or stuff as
late as 17th cy, depending on what we hear back.  When I know, you'll know.

Here's Talbot's email.  Enjoy!

-Vard