academie: ALERT! Academie Requested for Walters Art Museum Re-opening

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Sep 4 07:31:31 PDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 10:05:20PM -0400, Edvard Gayer wrote:

> A request from the Walters Art Museum was forwarded to me this afternoon
> through a friend in Bright Hills.  The Museum (in Baltimore) is re-opening
> after renovations on October 20th, and they are quite interested in having a
> troupe of dancers come demonstrate authentic Medieval dances as part of
> their festivities.

I've been part of an indoor demo at the Walters once: the director of
security used to be Giacomo, and so he got our Elizabethan reenacting
group invited to a for-the-public reception for their ivory exhibit. They
haven't had any similar in the last 3 years, I think.

The reception was crowded and it was difficult to be heard. The public
was very interested our stuff. They had hired some other performers
and invited some other folks, basically either starving early
musicians, the kind of harpists you'd see at a wedding (playing
baroque music), and a "high end" renfaire singing group, actually
singing Elizabethan stuff and wearing theatrical quality clothes
(i.e. not so hot from close up.)

Their standards are high but not unreasonable; they weren't unhappy
with us playing plastic recorders, for example, but we also brought
along the hammered dulcimer and viola da gamba. I was wearing men's
Elizabethan, so I had a doublet and hat (any less is just wearing
underwear) but I was wearing modern shoes (Scottish Country ghillies.)

I'm sure we could meet that standard with a group, but our people
would have to exercise good judgment. Certainly it'll be nowhere as
difficult as doing a Smithsonian demo.

Gregory Blount

p.s. and they have an alabaster sarcophagus from the Nth century BC
which has both Fat Elvis and Thin Elvis on it. Hairdo and all. The
King must have been capable of time travel.