academie: Walters Update

Ms. Catherine E. Dean deanc at grinnell.edu
Mon Sep 3 18:18:52 PDT 2001

I agree.  Still sounds worth doing if not quite as cool.  Does this mean we
have
a bit more play with dates, then? (She said, sheepishly wanting to do some
sixteenth century stuff).  And how does this affect the level of authenticity
we
will be required to display (specifically as regards clothing).

Katherine

>===== Original Message From "Edvard Gayer" <scavard at hotmail.com> =====
>All:
>
>There are still scant few details, but I've been digging around a little and
>think I've come up with some info worth sharing.
>
>First - As part of the Walters' re-opening in October, they are hosting a
>two-day street fair -slash- arts festival called "ArtBeat".  (details below)
>
>Second - Based on reading up on the festival, I believe it is must more
>likely that we've been invited to perform at the festival, NOT as part of
>their indoor exhibit.
>
>Third - Even with that, it still seems like a good thing to do, assuming
>that we can achieve critical mass *and* we can learn more about the minimum
>level of authenticity they're looking for.
>
>As an aside, crash space for 4-5 folks is available for those who would be
>coming great distance, and my understanding is that the Academie would be
>performing *both* days, possibly multiple times per day.
>
>Here's a link to detailed info about the festival, followed by a few
>cut/pasted blurbs: http://128.242.52.86/html/news_article.asp?ID=4
>
>"Two-day Arts Festival Reopens Walters Art Museum
>
>"You're marching with an Egyptian mummy, enjoying ethnic cuisine with
>medieval knights and chatting with the goddess Athena when suddenly the hit
>vocal group Rockapella bursts into song. No, this isn't a dream - it's
>ArtBeat on Centre Street, a two-day arts festival full of spectacle and
>surprise. The festival, marking the Grand Reopening of the Walters Art
>Museum after three years of renovation, will bring art, food, and
>entertainment into the streets of the Mount Vernon Cultural District on
>October 20 and 21, 2001.
>
>"ArtBeat will fill Centre Street and the parks of Mount Vernon with
>troubadours, street performers, hands-on arts activities, and musical
>performances....."
>
>-Vard

Cathy Dean
SCA: Lady Katherine Mercer, Seneschal of the College of NoMountain
deanc at grinnell.edu
http://home.earthlink.net/~lfdean
No one who had met Catherine would have supposed her to have been born a heroine --JA