academie: ALERT! Academie Requested for Walters Art Museum Re-opening

Debbie Halstead jebbydo at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 17:33:35 PDT 2001

Sounds like a great opportunity. I generally try to
save my knees these days for special occasions; this
would qualify.

Deborah

--- Edvard Gayer <scavard at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ladies and Gents, if I may have your kind attention
> please:
>
> A request from the Walters Art Museum was forwarded
> to me this afternoon
> through a friend in Bright Hills.  The Museum (in
> Baltimore) is re-opening
> after renovations on October 20th, and they are
> quite interested in having a
> troupe of dancers come demonstrate authentic
> Medieval dances as part of
> their festivities.
>
> Details are extremely sketchy, but here's what I do
> know:
> - Two days (Saturday October 20th and Sunday October
> 21st)
> - AUTHENTIC dances
> - AUTHENTIC costumes
> - AUTHENTIC music (live, if possible)
>
> This is a serious request, and this is *not* a demo
> nor a recruitment
> thingy.  What we have here is a nationally-known Art
> Museum coming to the
> Academie to help show the Mundanes what Medieval
> dances looked like.  We
> would be representing ourselves, the Academie, the
> SCA, *AND* the Walters,
> so it is very important that we do this right.
> (Yes, I'll have to wear
> something other than a t-tunic. <grin>)
>
> There's little info available on the Museum's
> website (www.thewalters.org),
> but I do know that the exhibit's title is: "Wondrous
> Journeys: The Walters
> Collection from Egyptian Tombs to Medieval Castles"
> here's a blurb from
> their site:
>
> "Wondrous Journeys, a new installation of the
> permanent collection, traces
> the path of artistic achievement in the West from
> pre-dynastic Egypt to the
> early Renaissance through nearly 2,000 works of art.
> The installation will
> assemble works in surprising new ways, and display
> many objects that have
> never before been shown.
>
> The large-scale reconfiguration of the Walters
> collection has been designed
> to make visitors feel as if they were walking
> through 5,000 years of history
> as they move through the galleries. Many of the
> galleries have been designed
> with a theatrical flavor, meant to offer visitors a
> sense of how these works
> of art would have been used and understood when they
> were created. The story
> begins on the second floor, when visitors enter the
> ancient world of Egypt
> through a temple gateway, and ends on the third
> floor, in a Knight's Hall as
> it might have been encountered in Europe around the
> year 1500."
>
> We're the "around the year 1500" bit.  :)
>
> I told my contact in Bright Hills that I would
> present it to the Academie
> and see what kind of reaction I could get.  Based on
> the historical time
> frame, my first reaction is "Italian Bassedanse".
> Others may react
> [...]

=====

Dragon Knife Company -- www.dragonsupply.com

Head Scientist-Clan McArgh's Super Secret Sacred Muppet Labs
GMOSS Jebby Do of Psi-Phi
Lady Deborah McArgh, Known as the Cynical of Isenfir
Seneschale of the Shire Of Isenfir

"It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here. It balances out the times when the minefield of life explodes." - Jimmy Buffett