academie: Walters Update

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 3 12:49:46 PDT 2001

All:

There are still scant few details, but I've been digging around a little and
think I've come up with some info worth sharing.

First - As part of the Walters' re-opening in October, they are hosting a
two-day street fair -slash- arts festival called "ArtBeat".  (details below)

Second - Based on reading up on the festival, I believe it is must more
likely that we've been invited to perform at the festival, NOT as part of
their indoor exhibit.

Third - Even with that, it still seems like a good thing to do, assuming
that we can achieve critical mass *and* we can learn more about the minimum
level of authenticity they're looking for.

As an aside, crash space for 4-5 folks is available for those who would be
coming great distance, and my understanding is that the Academie would be
performing *both* days, possibly multiple times per day.

Here's a link to detailed info about the festival, followed by a few
cut/pasted blurbs: http://128.242.52.86/html/news_article.asp?ID=4

"Two-day Arts Festival Reopens Walters Art Museum

"You're marching with an Egyptian mummy, enjoying ethnic cuisine with
medieval knights and chatting with the goddess Athena when suddenly the hit
vocal group Rockapella bursts into song. No, this isn't a dream - it's
ArtBeat on Centre Street, a two-day arts festival full of spectacle and
surprise. The festival, marking the Grand Reopening of the Walters Art
Museum after three years of renovation, will bring art, food, and
entertainment into the streets of the Mount Vernon Cultural District on
October 20 and 21, 2001.

"ArtBeat will fill Centre Street and the parks of Mount Vernon with
troubadours, street performers, hands-on arts activities, and musical
performances....."