academie: Virus warning - NOT a hoax

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 07:50:54 PDT 2001

Friends:

This is a for-real virus warning.  I was just emailed a virus-laden
attachment from bob at prodigy.net.mx with the subject line “Blank – Kingdom of
Atlantia Rapier Marshal Paperwork”

The attachment contained the W32/SirCam at MM virus, a worm which is documented
on the Symantec Anti-Virus Research Center (SARC.com) website.  This is a
new virus, first reported on 7/17/01.  Information on removing this worm can
be found at:

http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html

Note, I have received at least TWO emails from "bob", both of them with
SCA-related information in the subject line.  The body of the email in both
cases was identical (which is a tip-off):

>Hi! How are you?
>
>I send you this file in order to have your advice
>
>See you later. Thanks

Look VERY carefully at any attachments you may receive, especially if it
appears to be coming from someone you do not know.  The first email I
received contained a .doc file which had .com appended to the end (as in
filename.doc.com), the second was filename.doc.bat.  Both .com and .bat
files are executables, and receiving a file of either type in an unsolicited
email should immediately tip you off that something is rotten in Denmark.

Best of luck!

// Vard //

Lord Edvard Gayer, Secretary
L'Academie Atlantienne de la Danse