academie: display & use of our badge

L Shuskey elizedenizza at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 12:23:46 PDT 2001

Hi all,

I'd be willing to make a banner that we can display in
classrooms or dance halls, if someone else is willing
to make the seahorse.  I'm happy if I can draw a
recognizable stick figure!  It wouldn't happen until
after University, though...

Another period idea for using the banner is to use it
actually on your garb.  I think it was 14th or 15th
century when it was actually quite popular to work
one's device into one's clothing.  I see a lot of
members of households with tunics/tabbards/surcoats
bearing their household badge.  Could we not do the
same?  For example, I'd like a new royal blue dress
for dancing, and encorporating the badge into it would
be period.

It also solves the belt issue, for those of us whose
garb doesn't allow for belts, or to solve the issue
Judith mentioned.  The only problem with a scarf, and
I had thought about going that route too, is that the
rapier community uses a blue scarf for the novice
fencers.  I'd say white with a blue color block on the
bottom, but the top-level fencers wear white scarves
as a sign of rank.  The scarfs are the sign of
membership in the Academie d'Espee...their badge, in a
sense.

Question is, how much free reign do we, as individual
members of the Academy, have to use the badge
creatively?  What do we NOT want to do/see done, may
be the better question.

Elize

=====
"Have a place for everything and keep the thing somewhere else.  This is not advice, it is merely custom."  - Mark Twain