academie: Migrating dance symposiums

L Shuskey elizedenizza at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 12 09:44:15 PDT 2001

If you did a couple of symposiums a year, those of us
who live in the mountains might actually get to come.
I don't get to go to Nothing But Dance (or the big
Meridian symposium) because you just don't chance
coming off the mountain in February unless you just
HAVE to.  Even 12th Night is questionable - we have to
wait until the last minute to decide, and watch the
weather for a quick escape once we get there.

Just PLEASE (based on the horrors we are experiencing
trying to plan University) don't plan anything in the
mountains in October - it's prime tourist season, and
getting space for anything without paying big bucks
is, well, tricky is an understatement.

In short, a migrating symposium a couple of times a
year sounds great!  I'd love to come!

Elize

--- Edvard Gayer <scavard at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Scriptsit Judith:
> >So, any takers on hosting a fall dance symposium?
> I would do it myself,
> >but being a border person, I have no local group to
> sponsor it....
>
> Funny you should mention that.  The topic of a
> Winter symposium was
> discussed last night at Dun Carraig's business
> meeting.  Looks like DC is
> looking to submit a bid for February's University,
> and the notion of hosting
> a February Dance Symposium on the following weekend
> (2/9/02) is attactive.
> We've already got a very strong lead on a free site.
>
> This brings up a topic that we probably need to
> discuss.  The Symposium held
> in Isenfir last February was great, and we
> should/will do that again.
> Arguably, Isenfir is the most active group
> dance-wise in the Kingdom, which
> is both a plus and a minus.  On the plus side, a
> Symposium in Isenfir will
> be successful, since practically everybody there (it
> seems) dances.  On the
> minus side, having it in the same location does not
> help bring dancing to
> the rest of the non-Isenfiri Kingdom.
>
> When we schedule a track of classes at University,
> we tend to draw from the
> same core classes.  We need to do this, because we
> only have 6 hours to
> teach in, and we will *always* have new people
> attending those classes.
> Thus, we will always be teaching the same
> intro-level material at
> University, with an occasional lecture or
> Intermediate class thrown in.
> It's not the type of environment that is suited for
> teaching or learning
> more advanced topics.  Via the Symposia, we can
> teach to more depth on a
> variety of different topics, and the cross-training
> opportunities it
> presents to members of the Academie are really
> without compare.  The way I
> see it, the only way to really improve upon the
> Kingdom's overall dance
> proficiency is via our Symposia, but only if the
> Symposia are taken to where
> the people are.
>
> I have a proposal.
>
> Why not do what University does and rotate the
> Symposium through different
> parts of the Kingdom?  We've hinted at this before,
> but maybe it's time to
> come right out and discuss it openly.  We could do
> 2-3 a year, making sure
> to rotate through Isenfir regularly, but also moving
> it around to try to
> capture interest in other groups.  If we move the
> Symposia around, we can
> offer that depth to many more people, but we would
> want to ensure that we
> came back to Isenfir on a right regular basis, since
> that's where our
> largest core is.
>
> We might have a Symposium in November somewhere in
> the Carolinas, then one
> [...]

=====
"Try not to have a good time.  This is supposed to be educational."   - Charles Schultz (Peanuts cartoonist)