academie: fall symposium

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 12 08:56:45 PDT 2001

Scriptsit Judith:
>So, any takers on hosting a fall dance symposium?  I would do it myself,
>but being a border person, I have no local group to sponsor it....

Funny you should mention that.  The topic of a Winter symposium was
discussed last night at Dun Carraig's business meeting.  Looks like DC is
looking to submit a bid for February's University, and the notion of hosting
a February Dance Symposium on the following weekend (2/9/02) is attactive.
We've already got a very strong lead on a free site.

This brings up a topic that we probably need to discuss.  The Symposium held
in Isenfir last February was great, and we should/will do that again.
Arguably, Isenfir is the most active group dance-wise in the Kingdom, which
is both a plus and a minus.  On the plus side, a Symposium in Isenfir will
be successful, since practically everybody there (it seems) dances.  On the
minus side, having it in the same location does not help bring dancing to
the rest of the non-Isenfiri Kingdom.

When we schedule a track of classes at University, we tend to draw from the
same core classes.  We need to do this, because we only have 6 hours to
teach in, and we will *always* have new people attending those classes.
Thus, we will always be teaching the same intro-level material at
University, with an occasional lecture or Intermediate class thrown in.
It's not the type of environment that is suited for teaching or learning
more advanced topics.  Via the Symposia, we can teach to more depth on a
variety of different topics, and the cross-training opportunities it
presents to members of the Academie are really without compare.  The way I
see it, the only way to really improve upon the Kingdom's overall dance
proficiency is via our Symposia, but only if the Symposia are taken to where
the people are.

I have a proposal.

Why not do what University does and rotate the Symposium through different
parts of the Kingdom?  We've hinted at this before, but maybe it's time to
come right out and discuss it openly.  We could do 2-3 a year, making sure
to rotate through Isenfir regularly, but also moving it around to try to
capture interest in other groups.  If we move the Symposia around, we can
offer that depth to many more people, but we would want to ensure that we
came back to Isenfir on a right regular basis, since that's where our
largest core is.

We might have a Symposium in November somewhere in the Carolinas, then one
in February in the northern end (Dun Carraig?), then back to Isenfir in
(maybe) April.  Rinse, repeat.

I would *not* want this to adversely impact Isenfir, and I know that whether
or not they host a "formal" Symposium in February probably shouldn't hinder
their plans for their next "Nothing But Dance" event.  Bryan, what do you
think?