academie: Juniversity Post-Revel

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Jun 5 10:48:20 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 01:39:59PM -0400, James C. Wagner Jr. wrote:

> Now Greg,
>
> Isn't Sellenger's Round one of the dances specifically mentioned in a
> Shakespearian play? (Can't remember which one.. I'll ask Arcturus. He pulled
> out that fact when we were programming the dances fot 12th night.)

Well, if you look in those Cheat Sheets that are online -- what's the
author's name, oh yeah, "Gregory Blount of Isenfir", it says:

> The Playford Ball notes that there is a reference to the title of this
> dance in Thomas Heywood's play A Woman Killed with Kindness, 1607.
> There are also numerous other references.

And the tune has early references too. But that doesn't mean that the
1670 dance has anything to do with the 1607 dance. In fact there's
this other longways dance in the 1651 Playford called... Sellingers
Round. I should probably mention that in the cheat sheets ;-)

-- gb