academie: Juniversity Post-Revel

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Jun 5 10:21:13 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 01:07:09PM -0400, Edvard Gayer wrote:

> I recall only
> on other OOP dance, Sellenger's Round.

This is a good example of why I talk about GOOP dances instead of OOP
dances -- Grossly Out Of Period as opposed to Out Of Period.

There are 2 English Country Dances that we frequently do that are
later than 1651: Sellingers Round and Black Nag. They aren't
significantly different from the dances that are in 1651 Playford.
So you can think of them as "modern compositions in a period style."

Other dances, like Hole in the Head (er, Wall), are not only
significantly later (1695, in this case), but are also considerably
different in style from 1651 Playford.

Lumping Black Nag and Hole in the Wall into the same category, OOP,
obscures the more important point.

-- Gregory Blount