academie: Fwd: Re: Dancing kids at 20th Year

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Thu May 24 09:22:56 PDT 2001

Y'know, every time I get one of these, the address list is a couple of names
longer.  I've trimmed this down a little, since my reply contains
discussion, and since the number of decision makers should be limited to
Allasondrea, Tehair, and (um) me.  :)

Topic the First: Teaching dance at the Pages' class, 1 hour, 10-11am Sunday.
  Can we do this?  Sure thing!  We will have lots of members and instructors
on site, including those with hands-on experience teaching school-age kids
how to dance period stuff.  Besides, we like kids... no better way to ensure
that the next generation of SCAdians dance the "right stuff" than to get
them brainwashed (uh, I mean, "taught") early.  :)

Topic the Second: Teaching dance to "smalls", Sunday, 3 hours, 1-4 pm.  Can
we do this?  Uhhh....  I'm not sure if the attention span of your average
4-9 year old would be able to put up with being taught dancing for 3 hours.
Heck, I know several adults whose eyes start to glaze over after just a few
minutes!  Could we set aside a smaller portion of time... perhaps 30 to 45
minutes?  I do not know if we need to identify a specific start/end time,
but if it would help with your planning, we can do that.

Schedule-wise, the Academie has scheduled classes from 1-4 on Saturday to
get folks ready for the Ball.  Although not on the schedule, we will also be
having classes intermittently throughout the day on Sunday in the "Dance
Shack" (building "X" on the site map).  Since the pageant is scheduled for
2-4 on Sunday, we will probably want to teach the "smalls" during the 1-2
block... that will free-up our instructor(s) in case he/she/they are needed
to "prompt" the bigger kids during the pageant.

Also, according to the schedule, there's nothing else important scheduled
for Sunday.  War Practice (1:30-4:30) tends to only involve fighters... most
of the rest of the folks will be looking for something more interesting to
do, so we can probably count on a large turnout for the pageant and for
dance practice that afternoon.  :)

-Vard