academie: Flamenco???

Lightning rlightning at earthlink.net
Wed May 23 08:25:29 PDT 2001

> Flamenco music.  Two questions:
>
> 1) Is it even period?

I researched this recently because it's something I'd like to learn.

Whether it's period or not is highly debateable. While there is a long
history of folk dance in Spain, Flamenco didn't surface in its currently
recognizable format until the 19th century.

Here's some reference web sites:
http://members.aol.com/canastero/FlamencoHistory/FlamencoHist.html
http://herso.hypermart.net/hist_fl.html (has some comments about gypsy
history & flamenco)
http://home.eunet.no/~bjornodd/ehist.html (comments about 14th century
dance)
http://www.duendeflamenco.com/traditio.htm

I'm not sure the history of Spanish dance is well documented in the SCA--at
least in Atlantia. Most of what I've seen (limited to Atlantia) has been
limited to ECD and Italian. It would probably be a worthwhile research area
for somebody who has the time. I might work on it more this summer if I get
the chance.

> 2) If it is, where can she find music?

You can find modern Flamenco in most record stores.

Also check out this site: http://66.33.46.224/flamenco.htm It is part of
Flamenco-web.

There is a network in the Atlantian area that teaches Flamenco. If I
remember where I left the reference, I will post it.

Best wishes,
Rebecca