academie: University / Help!

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Wed May 16 14:23:11 PDT 2001

Here's the list of courses the Academie is offering at Juniversity... also,
please scroll down to the bottom because we've already had one instructor
have a case of life happen to her.  She will be unable to attend, so we need
to try to cover her class.

1st Hour:
109 - Period Dancing and Dance Sources (Edvard Gayer) Students will learn
how to distinguish period from non-period dance, and will be introduced to
the actual period sources which are commonly used within the SCA to document
dance. Students will also join members of the Atlantian Dance Academie in a
discussion of the pros/cons of out-of-period dance within Atlantia and the
SCA.

2nd Hour:
209 - Medieval Peasant Dances (Judith de Northumbria) This class is geared
towards those who just like to dance. No choreographies to remember. No
rules (except that Thou Shalt Not Hurt Others). Just lots of fun. Come and
try something new!

Lunch/Convocation/Court break

3rd Hour:
309 - Introduction to Middle-Eastern Dance (Tahira bint Ibrahim al-Ixbilyi)
This course is a beginner's class, exploring the foundation movements of
Middle-eastern dance.

310 - 15th Century Italian Dance (Marion le Red) Students will be introduced
to several simple steps unique to 15th Century Italian dance, and will learn
dances such s "Gelosia", "Anello" and that crowd-favorite "Petit Vriens".
Beginners welcome.

4th Hour:
409 - History of Middle-Eastern Dance 101 (Tahira bint Ibrahim al-Ixbilyi)
This course is a lecture course exploring what is known--and what is
not--about Middle-eastern dance. Is veil period? How does 'raqs sharqi'
become translated as bellydance? Learn answers to these questions and many
more.

5th Hour:
509 - Bransling Tactics/Miming Bransles (Constanza de Tallavera) Bransles
are the simplest of the known renaissance dances. Miming bransles are easy
to learn, and introduce the more common bransle steps with a bit of
interplay between the partners using steps unique to each dance, which makes
foances. Beginners welcome.

6th Hour:
609 - Beginning English Country Dancing (Victoria Pringle) Students will
learn the basic figures of English Country Dance, and will learn how to
combine them into commonly done dances such as Rufty-Tufty, Gathering
Peascods, and others. No experience necessary.

-------

Judith will be unable to attend University, so her 2nd hour class on
Medieval Peasant Dances is in jeopardy.  I did not get the opportunity to
take her class at the Symposium, so I do not know whether this is something
that someone else can just step in and teach in her stead or not.  If this
class has to get cancelled, is there anyone else attending Juniversity who
might want to teach something during 2nd hour?

BTW - Moving classes around between hours is probably not going to be an
option, since students have already begun registering for classes based on
the schedule that was published in the previous =Acorn=.  We probably cannot
fill the 2nd hour void by moving one of the two 3rd hour classes up an hour.
  So, if you're going and would like to take a crack at teaching, we can
certainly use you now!  :)