academie: Whirligig

Oxford, David dmo at pqa.com
Thu Apr 12 12:55:27 PDT 2001

>> For Whirligig, the repeat structure looks like this:
>> Time signature: 6/8, ABBB, A=8m (x1), B=8m (x3).
>> So, for the BBB part, we'll have the same
>> 8 measures repeated 9 times total.

My PREFERRED way to have the music is:

A  - verse
BB - chorus 1st time thru
A  - cast off
BB - chorus 2nd time thru
A  - cast off
BB - chorus 3rd time thru
A  - cast off

All that played three times through, yielding:

     A BB A BB A BB AA BB A BB A BB AA BB A BB A BB A

(whew, makes me tired to think about it :)

Note that I like having the A part played as the cast-off, because it is
distinct from the chorus so you know real fast if you've gotten off, plus it
breaks up the music a bit.  If you use the B part for the cast-off, the dance
would be:

     A BBBBBBBBB A BBBBBBBBB A BBBBBBBBB

which is an awful lot of "B" parts, and as you dance it it all begins to run
together.