academie: 20YC Dance List

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 6 13:18:35 PDT 2001

I'll tackle a few of the recent topics:

1 - Bransle du Beaver:  Simple enough, consider that one deleted.  I thought
folks would get a kick out of dancing a bransle suite to a non-period suite
of tunes.  But there's two sides to the coin, and just because the dancers
are being period does NOT mean that the musicians are immediately keen on
being non-period.  They might object to being asked to play things like
"Leave it to Beaver", "Gilligan's Island", or "The Brady Bunch".  Period is
period, whether we're talking about the dance bit or the music bit, so this
one gets nixed.  I have another game we can add if we find ourselves with
surplus time.

2 - Tassel Kick:  Greg pointed out (privately) that this wasn't for
"highest" kick, but most-stylized.  Simple 'nuff, 'eh?

3 - OOP dances.  I only received requests for two OOP dances, and one of
them was clearly tongue-in-cheek.  The other is being danced at Coronation
already, and I really don't want to open that can of worms again at 20YC.
But I promise that I will talk to the musician coordinator and get a read
from her before anything gets decided.  Right now, it's not on the list,
because I believe it will be easier to add something controversial later
than to have to defend it now.  :)

4 - IoC = 16th Century, not 14th.  That was a test.  Glad everybody did so
well. ;)

So that everybody understands, the descriptions for the "dance diversions" I
posted were distributed to the Academie only.  The only thing that's been
published to the 20YC web is the list of dances.  For those who are on both
lists, if we're going to have a discussion about them, this is the place to
do it, not there.  :)

My idea behind the diversions is to emphasize that dancing is something you
do for fun.  To some people (us, mostly) the dances themselves are
sufficient cause for fun, but those who don't dance nearly as much may  view
dancing quite differently.  We all know how to move through our different
dances, so we can focus on embellishing our footwork, or trying to trip each
other up, or see how many of us can simultanesously step on Judith's train.
But others may sincerely be worried about looking goofy, or stepping on
someone's toes, or may get so hung up about footwork and memorization that
they have virtually no opportunity to enjoy the dance.

Our Princess, for example, loves to dance, but she only knows a very few
dances, all of which are way out of period, and has had a difficult time
finding opporutnity to dance in the SCA since moving from Meridies.  She has
not learned any new dances, which I suspect is probably a combination of
lack of time and fear of looking silly.  So, she is resigned to watching
while others do what she wants to do.

By taking a couple of well-known and/or very easy dances and making games
out of them, people will have a better chance of enjoying themselves, which
is one of the things I'm trying to accomplish with the 20YC Ball.  I want to
try my darndest to find something for everybody (yes, even those who only
know "Hole"), while striving to keep things as period as possible (Playford
debate notwithstanding).

If it's allright with y'all, I would like to table this discussion until
after the weekend.  Coronation is upon us, with it's own unique obligations
upon several of us.  The Academie will have plenty o' time afterwards to
tell me what a lousy job I'm doing with 20YC.  :)

-V