academie: Dancing in Augusta, Ga

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 18:10:39 PST 2001

When teaching youngsters, I have found that there are a couple of dances
that are easier to "get" than others.  The Official Bransle is one, Horse's
Bransle is a second, and Black Nag (Playford 3rd edition) is an ECD you
could use.

When Rowen taught Official Bransle to her class, she taught them an
alternate version.  Instead of having the young gentlemen try to lift the
young ladies, the ladies would pass in front of the gentlemen, changing
hands as they did this, to take their new places.  If you aren't too keen on
teaching the "tossing" part of this dance, this is an easy alternative
which, I understand, looks tres spiff.

// Vard //