academie: Atlantian Dance Symposium

Judithsca at aol.com Judithsca at aol.com
Sun Mar 18 18:06:13 PST 2001

Greg wrote:

<<As for Bryan's idea of a day-long advanced seminar, I like it. It
won't draw that many people, I don't think, so we'd need a central
location, but we would only have to worry about conflicting with more
popular events. Or, we could do it at an event -- I could imagine
getting together at noon in a quiet room, and finishing around 5-6 pm,
then joining the event.>>

As I suggested in one of my earlier emails, a perfect event at which to do this "seminar within a seminar" kind of thing, at least as a prototype, would be at Night on the PIazza in Lochmere, at which I am running dance for the period themed event set in 1560.  I plan on cheating and throwing in a considerable amount of 15thc. Italian, though, since I could not teach enough 16thc. to support an entire event.  But even still...hint, hint. :)

<<For topics, though, I don't know how we'd do one on 16th century
Italian -- I don't think we know enough. It would be a cool idea to
get some serious volunteers to go learn what they can>>

I volunteer!  I volunteer!  I have actually already started re-reading my Caroso....Anyone else want to help me?

<<how about doing one on 15th century Italian first?
That one we can do off the top of our heads, and there's a great secondary source (Joy and Jealousy).>>

But of course, *I* am biased....I have been dying to do this sort of thing for 15th c. Italian for a long time...So much to expose the public to, so little time, it always seems.

 judith