academie: Another educational idea

Oxford, David dmo at pqa.com
Fri Mar 16 09:44:27 PST 2001

As long as we're on an educational bent...

What would people think of the idea of holding day-long (Saturday) in-depth
workshops on very specific areas of dance, to help the many of us out there who
lack the depth we'd like in some of the less-common (in Atlantia, at least)
areas of dance.

For example, an entire day devoted to learning more about 16th C. Italian dance
than just Ballo del Fiori and Lo Spagnoletto.  A real workshop on the steps and
aesthetics of that style of dance, differences between Caroso and Negri and
others, learning some longer, more advanced and complex dances, etc.  Total
immersion, basically, from which hopefully many of us can emerge more
knowledgeable than we were before.

I suggest this because there seems to be a dearth of in-depth, advanced-level
educational opportunities around here, yet I know there're people out there who
know this stuff.

Other possible topics could be non-bransle Arbeau stuff, bassedance, ADVANCED
15th C. Italian, and probably lots of other stuff I'm not even thinking of.

Thoughts?