academie: Fw: [SCA-Dance] Dance Guilds

Edvard Gayer scavard at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 1 14:59:06 PST 2001

Hmmm..  I'm hardly one to ask to revisit an issue that had already been
debated, discussed, and discarded, but I'm not one to quelch free thought
either.

Speaking personally, while I expect that members of the Academie will
improve their skills through education and interfacing with one another, I
am uncertain that it is a good idea to codify anything that resembles a
ranking system.  Several of our members are here because they like dancing,
period.  Their membership is not predicated upon their skill at dancing, or
their mastery of period sources, or their ability to teach others... they
just like to dance.  I fear that if we somehow stratify our membership, we
risk turning away those who just like to dance, which would diminish us all.

Besides, we already have a ranking system.  The person with the baldric is
in charge.  ;)