academie: Fw: [SCA-Dance] Dance Guilds

Oxford, David dmo at pqa.com
Thu Mar 1 08:45:22 PST 2001

>> Subject: Fw: [SCA-Dance] Dance Guilds
>>
>> I saw this on the SCA dance list and thought it was a great idea to
>> encourage academie members to advance their skills!

I thought it was a good idea, too.  I asked the poster of the message Rowen
forwarded to send me more information about the actual ranking system they're
planning to use.  I've included below the relevant portion of what she sent me.
It seems pretty good.  It has a rather nice balance of performance and teaching,
and to move along in it you need to have a wide repertoire that spans numerous
styles (e.g., you can't reach the upper levels being solely an expert at ECD's).
For those interested in charting self-improvement, it seems a pretty good system
that progressively forces you to both broaden and deepen your knowledge, both as
a dancer and as a teacher.

I would like to recommend that we seriously consider implementing something like
this, on a purely voluntary basis of course, but as something that is recognized
within the Academie.  As Greg quite correctly pointed out, not everyone is going
to want to participate, and no expectation should be placed on those who don't
wish to.  But I also know a lot of people who would really benefit from
something like this, and it might even force some people who'd like the
recognition to broaden their perspectives some.

Thoughts?

Overall, there are several "repertoires" : 15th century Italian, Basse
Dances (15th century French), 16th century Italian, Arbeau (16th century
French), Inns of Court (16/17th century English), and Playford (17th century
English).

Iscritto/Iscritta: first level of recognition within the Guild and shall be
open to all those interested in Guild membership who have attended at least
one dance practice or dance at an event and have participated therein.

Studente / Studentessa: second level of recognition within the Guild. The
requirements for entrance to this level represent the candidate's increased
interest in learning period dance and shall be defined as: knowledge and
demonstration of the ability to dance five (5) individual dances from any of
the repertoires

Erudito / Erudita: third level of recognition within the Guild. The
requirements for entrance to this level represent the candidate's ability to
be proficient in period dance across different repertoires and shall be
defined as: knowledge and demonstration of the ability to dance and to teach
a series of three (3) dances from each of three (3) repertoires plus three
dances of the candidate's choice from any of the repertoires, which shall
comprise a total of twelve (12) dances.

Esperto / Esperta: fourth level of recognition within the Guild. The
requirements for entrance to this level represent the candidate's desire to
expand his/her knowledge in the arts of period dance and to become adept in
the field. The requirements shall be defined as: knowledge and demonstration
of the ability to dance and teach a series of four (4) dances from each of
four (4) repertoires,
plus four (4) dances of the candidate's choice from any of the repertoires,
which shall comprise a total of twenty (20) dances; plus, participation in
period dance outside of the local group (i.e. dance practice, dancing at
another group's event); plus, an ability to recognize when a candidate has
reached a certain level, even those higher than Esperto / Esperta

Padrone: fifth level of recognition within the Guild. The requirements for
entrance to this level represent the candidate's "ownership" of the field of
period dance and shall be defined as: knowledge and demonstration of the
ability to dance and teach a series of ten (10) dances from one (1)
repertory, five (5) dances from each of three (3) other repertoires, three
(3) dances from the remaining two (2) repertoires plus four (4) dances of
the candidate's choice from any of the repertoires, which shall comprise a
total of thirty-five (35) dances; plus, achievement of recognition by the
dance community outside of the local group; plus, demonstration of original
reconstruction of two (2) dances judged to be of sufficient complexity by a
panel of three (3) guild members of esperto / Esperta rank or higher.

There are a few other general things setting out how those demonstrations
are to be performed (i.e., without a caller and without having the dance
previously taught at that practice/event). Also, they don't have to do them
all at once. There's a set person whose sole purpose is to keep track of
what everyone is doing / has done.  And we set out a provision for the
"candidate's choice" dances - they can use dances outside the given
repertoires if they can provide adequate and sufficient documentation
detailing the performance of the dance prior to their use of it.  After all,
we want to promote research too. :)