academie: Report on Dance at Ymir

ThatUrsula at aol.com ThatUrsula at aol.com
Mon Feb 12 21:09:59 PST 2001

Greetings, all.

Dance at Ymir ran from about 9:00 until a quarter 'til one.  I've never
danced that much at one event before.  Fun!  Thanks to everyone who
participated and for their patience.  Thanks also to the folk who gave me a
hand with the teaching, and to those who helped clear the tables away so
quickly to make space for the dancing.  (That was one of my worries - having
a clear area while there were still people around to dance.)

We danced the following dances - many of them twice (I forget in which order):

Bransle Official (AKA Official Bransle or Toss the Duchess)
Horses Bransle
Sellenger's Round
Rufty Tufty
Black Nag
Gathering Peasecods
Hole in the Wall
Manschaft Pavane
Petit Rien
Candlestick Bransle
Heart's Ease
Female Sailor
John Tallow's Cannon
Road to the Isles (AKA Scotland the Brave)
Korobushka
Saltarello la Regina

We used real candles in Candlestick Bransle.  This would have been magical if
I hadn't forgotten to bring my recording of the music.  People were good
sports and danced it anyway to the accompaniment of whistling (thanks
Dunstan) and Yours Truly providing percussion on a large Gatorade cooler.  O
the Humanity.  I'll bring music next time.  I Promise.

This was only the second time I'd ever gotten a group all the way through the
very long but fiery version of Korobushka that I have.  It was very cool.

As I was packing up to go, I started showing one gentle the steps to
Saltarello la Regina.  To my surprise several people came over and asked to
do it.  So I had at least 6 couples doing Saltarello at nearly 1:00 in the
morning.  I'm usually lucky if I can get people to survive it at 7 of 8 PM.
Then I started packing to leave again.  They asked for more.  I ran for my
life.  Sick people.  I love you all.

I now have the daunting task of doing something different the next time I run
dance at an event.  New dances but more than that.  Time to plot and plan.

As for new dances, I'll be traveling to the Atlantian Dance Symposium/Nothing
But Dance event in Isenfir this coming weekend to broaden my repertoire.
Anyone interested in carpooling or caravanning?  I live in Durham, NC near
Research Triangle Park.  Here is the web site for the event ===>
http://acorn.atlantia.sca.org/0102/NothingButDance.htm

Cheers,
Ursula von Bremen